Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Problems E-brake wires w. Teraflex rear disc conv.

675 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  oldtime_ironman 
#1 ·
Hello,

I`m doing a full rebuild of my 1992 YJ 4.0L, down to bits and pieces. I`m about to mount a 4" Trailmaster susp. lift with 33" tires. But due to Norwegian regulations, I need to convert the stock rear drum brakes, to disc brakes, to get the vehicle street legal.:rtft:

I`m looking at the Teraflex rear disc brake conversion kit, but I got a few problems understanding the E-brake wires offered for this kit at quadratec.com, and 4wd.com. I`ve tried to send request for information, but the answers I achive, doesn`t make sense to me. Hopefully someone here have experienced the same problem, and can help me with what to do.

The case is the length of the wires offered from Teraflex, they messures 66" for both sides. But the stock length of the wires from the equalizer and back, messures 39 1/2" for the drivers side, and 71 5/8" for the passenger side. Do I have to re-arrange how the wires are mounted to use the 66", or do I use they as an extension of the stock wires..? Or is there something from other Jeeps I can use..? Either Quadratec or 4wd.com could come up with an good answer to this.:confused:

If anyone here have experienced the same matter, I would really appreciate all the hints & tricks I can get.

Thank you all in advance! :wave:

See less See more
#2 ·
How does Norwegian law feel about rear axle swaps? You can convert to disk brakes a lot cheaper by switching the entire axle out AND have an axle that's quite a bit stronger for your 33's. Are there any old ford explorers in any scrap yards around?

#3 ·
Due to the demand of documentation, which I think can be a challenge, a axle swap can be quite hard to get approved. For some reason I then need documentations, that says this axle will work properly on a Jeep (which means I need approval from chrysler Jeep Corp), that they approve this.

So, unfortunately, I`m stuck with my stock Dana 35C, and therefor have to wreste with converting the brakes. (Which the authorities can approve, since this is an improvement of a stock car, not a major modifications:confused:)

Do not ask me how they interpret the rules, noone exept themself do... :rtft:

So therefor, I still have to lean on someone here, to help me out!

By the way, thank you very much for your suggestion! :thumbsup:

#4 ·
The over all length of the wires is similar enough, regardless of what is actually measured on each side. Therfore I think you should re-arrange them. However, I am not very familiar with the kit. On all the brakes that I have done, I simply get some extra and cut it off at the correct length after install. Never a problem that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.