Problems after 2.5" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Problems after 2.5" lift

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 04-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
jddelrosso
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Problems after 2.5" lift

So after much waiting I found a smoking deal on a brand new skyjacker 2.5" lift kit, just needed to buy the u-bolts and bushings. The install went pretty well, ran into no issues that could not be overcome with pb blaster and a hammer. I ran into my issues when I started to drive around with it.

My current setup is:
The already mentioned 2.5" skyjacker kit with hydro shocks
1/2" shackle lift
1" Transfercase drop (was installed on the jeep with no lift by PO, dunno know why)

My current issues are:
Low speed Vibrations - only occur below 20ish and go away with speed increase

Wandering/loose steering - The steering will randomly do whatever it wants, not so bad that I would lose control but bad enough to give you a scare - have been reading about caster issues causing this. I purchased a angle finder, and when I read the angle from underneath I got > 8* on the driver side and < 5* on the passenger side. I do not know how to adjust side by side

I believe those are the biggest issues I am having right now, any help would be great as I have been searching the forum non stop and have not found a good answer.

Let me know if anymore information is needed to help diagnose.

Thanks
Jeremy

jddelrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
madmax79
I'm Old Gregg!

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Lifts amplify other issues. A slightly bent dirveshaft will be amplified after a lift and may cause your vibes. Also the steering issues could be loose ball joints, tie rod ends etc. I'm not really sure about the alignment issues because mine changes so often I gave up on it but if you do a search for alignment there are usually how-to threads that may help you or try a chilton/haynes manual.

Early YJ Club, Member #1, Check out our group: Early YJ Club

Quote:
Epic adventures usually start with something like: "I was looking at a topo map..."
www.matanzasjeepclub.com
madmax79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Vibrations are probably from your drive shaft universals/yokes binding because of the added height. Yeah, I know, 3" lift, T-case drop, whatever, Jeeps are all different.

Did you install a new pit man arm with the kit?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did the kit come with an upgraded steering stabiliser? that could be part of your steering problem. If I recall, all the 2.5" skyjacker kits I've looked at didn't come with one.
Unread 04-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
jddelrosso
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I did not install a new pitman arm with the lift, still running the stock one.
I did install a new steering stabilizer, the napa sc2928 stabilizer, it did make a small difference in steering feel

I will double check the ball joints and tie rod ends to the best of my ability tomorrow, weather permitting. Ill also check out the drive shaft to see if there is any noticeable bend in it

As for the vibrations, everything I have read has been higher speed vibrations with lift, and I have not seen anything about low speed vibs.
Unread 04-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Install new u-joints is probably going to help. U-joints develope wear patterns in the needle bearings when driven for a long time at a certain angle, change the angle, and bam, vibration, play, etc. Get spicer uj's. Do not buy junk. (This may or may not fix the vibration issue), but I would be tempted to replace them if I suspected it was a causitive factor.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The only other thing I can add is by asking the obvious questions; are there shims in the rear springs, are they placed correctly, just by looking at the driveshaft, how do all the angles look, does the pumpkin angle look right, a visual.
Unread 04-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
2uraven
1990 YJ Wrangler 

a dropped pitman arm will fix the wander. had the same problem. 4* shims should allow you to take the tc drop out. I ended up doing a sye and new shaft, but $$ you dont have to spend if you dont wont to.
2uraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

are you sure your steering woes aren't just bump steer? Bump steer is caused by the drag link.

The lift increased the angle of the drag link, therefore, when you hit bumps in the road the distance between the axle and the pit-man arm (the two points the drag link is attached to) will lengthen and shorten as the axle moves. Since the drag link is a solid bar that cannot adjust itself, it will actually pull on or push the tie-rod as your suspension cycles thus causing the wheels to turn as you drive over potholes and bumps. Higher lifts (4" +) come with drop pitman arms to cure this, since you want the drag link as horizontal as possible to prevent bump steer.

You will also notice your steering wheel does not point straight when your wheels do, this is also caused by the drag link.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?

Last edited by trw; 04-10-2010 at 11:30 PM..
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #10
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I still have not adjusted my drag link for my 2.5 emu lift. It is a good point, my steering wheel is still off center due to not adjusting it yet. That should make the wheel look on center anyways. For me, no problems with bumpsteer thankfully.
Unread 04-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
jddelrosso
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So I checked out some things...

New U joints are in order, 1 is on its way out but I will probably swap out both for new

I pulled out the transfercase drop, as it was in there since I owned the jeep, and I get very minor vibrations over 45ish, so I will stay without it at this point

As suggested for the pitman arm I am thinking of going with a 93-98 ZJ arm as they are cheap and give a good amount of drop. Would that provide the correct / enough amount of drop?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.