Problem turning engine over - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Problem turning engine over

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
golfer080
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Problem turning engine over

I have a 1989 Jeep YJ. I was driving it and it has been running fine, I stop to get something to eat and when I try to start it back up the engine will not turn over. I happened to park on a hill so I get it rolling, pop the clutch and off I go. I figure the battery has gone bad so I take it out and have it tested and it is fine. Next I figure it must be the starter, take it out and down to be tested, it's working but there are obvious signs of wear so I replace it and still the engine won't turn over. It acts like it wants to but it won't, maybe turns a 1/4 turn and that's it. The engine is a 2.8L V6 (not my idea, was in when I bought it). Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

golfer080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You need to clean the cables to the starter and the battery. Including the body ground cables for the engine block and chasis.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mine did this when there was corosion on the battery terminal... Took of the battery cables, scraped out the insides and scraped the stubs on the battery... Good to go.

You are in essence bypassing your battery when you do your "push start". The ground to the battery, ground to the block, or power to the battery are at fault here. I'm w/QUE.

Please post back if this indeed fixes the problem, it is good info for others to know when experiencing the same symptoms.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
golfer080
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You guys were right on the money. I had already cleaned the battery terminals and that did not help but i disconnected it at the block, sanded the connection and put it back on and it fired right up. Thank you so much for the help.
golfer080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer080 View Post
You guys were right on the money. I had already cleaned the battery terminals and that did not help but i disconnected it at the block, sanded the connection and put it back on and it fired right up. Thank you so much for the help.
Glad it worked! Also, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for updating the result, this should help people search down the road.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.