problem developing and getting worse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > problem developing and getting worse

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
Jruth
1993 YJ Wrangler 

problem developing and getting worse

my 1993 started clunking when going up a hill and it gradually got worse now you can set your watch by it and today it started like no more power accompanied by a loud grind let off gas....push gas and go but it still just clunk..clunk..clunk like right below me was told it might be the t-case chain slipping, took the case apart didnt see anything out of the way. HELP!!!!! its a 4 litre aw4 np231 dont know how much lift 4 link rear 3 link front fox 2.o coilovers dana 44s 410 gears clears 36s easily

Jruth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'd give the catalytic converter a couple taps with a screwdriver to see if the insides are destroyed before suspecting the transfer case. Tough to diagnose clunking through the innernets.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 04:28 AM   #3
Jruth
1993 YJ Wrangler 

it doesn't have one
Unread 08-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #4
Jruth
1993 YJ Wrangler 

bump
Unread 08-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forums I'd suggest posting pictures up to a photohosting site and then linking them here so that we can get a look at what you're talking about, which will help us understand the overall configuration and lead to some troubleshooting.

In the description you indicate you have a front 44 with an air locker and a rear 44 with a full spool. You've got a pretty extensive list of modifications which is awesome, however may be impacting the "streetability" of the Jeep.

That spool in the rear will wreak havoc on the transfer case, yes - but the UJoints will suffer first There is always a trade off in the modifications you do.

My first line of suggestion if you've checked the transfer case is to give the drive shafts a good crank while it's on the ground and note ANY Play in them. That play will turn into a lot of racket, especially under load on a hill.
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #6
Jruth
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think pictures will help cause it all looks normal I always turn very gently with no throttle input
Unread 08-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you - remember, having a spool in the back will entirely force both wheels to spin at the same speed on pavement - since that is a huge problem during ANY turn on pavement (the outside wheel MUST move faster than the inside wheel - basic physics), nomatter how slight, that force will be translated back along the driveline to any loose or worn or weak point.

When will you get a chance to test the drivelines for play? Possibly grease the UJoints?
Unread 08-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
Jruth
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your help who's got good greasable u joints and how much
Unread 08-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
Jruth
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You think that grind comes from u joints?
Unread 08-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Very likely, yes - I had a similar problem in my former Range Rover, greasing the UJoints made it quieter, but ultimately they had to be replaced. Not expensive, but just time consuming.

Many UJoints come from the factory with Grease Zerks in them - check them first. If not, there are a variety of them on the market - check NAPA or Oreily premium lines first for the model/year of your D44's
Unread 08-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
Jruth
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Appreciate it man
Unread 08-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #12
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm confused.. would a bad u-joint cause lack of power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruth View Post
and today it started like no more power accompanied by a loud grind let off gas....push gas and go but it still just clunk..clunk..clunk like right below me
Perhaps I need to Grovel in the Gravel at Grumpys to comprehend this new member.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
Jruth
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not lack of power a lack of anything a neutral feeling
Unread 08-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #14
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruth View Post
Not lack of power a lack of anything a neutral feeling
Ya that neutral feeling is no bueno..

side bar - I went to a bar called Grumpys in or near Cleveland Tennessee when I was in the service. I don't remember much about that night except two things - When I ordered a bud, the guy put up a bottle and said, " 75 cents".. my reply, "make it a six pack"

and rolling a t-top firebird off a bridge into freezing water at 3:30 am and swimming out from the rear passenger seat.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #15
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Near my house there is a bar with free beer on Thursdays.

I don't go there because the bartenders are that awful...
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.