Printed circuit board repair? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Printed circuit board repair?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Printed circuit board repair?

I have a corroded printed circuit board for my speedo unit. I have tested 7 bad paths on it and am about to tackle some sort of a crazy soldering job. Has anyone done this before? and if so do you have any advice?

I have some 18 gauge wire. Will that work, or should I be using something else?

Thanks.

TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

For something as common as a YJ speedo, it would be wiser (read: less of a PITA) to just pick up one out of another YJ, from a junkyard or one that's being parted out on here or craigslist.

Brandon

Edit: that is if you're talking about the speedo unit in the dash, attached to the speedo gauge...
H3RTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
For something as common as a YJ speedo, it would be wiser (read: less of a PITA) to just pick up one out of another YJ, from a junkyard or one that's being parted out on here or craigslist.

Brandon

Edit: that is if you're talking about the speedo unit in the dash, attached to the speedo gauge...
I got one and it had the same problem so I was going to try to repair it. After having to and them both being bad I figured that most YJ would probably have this problem.

And yes it's the speedometer unit in the dash.

If anyone is parting out a YJ and has a good printed circuit board let me know.
Unread 01-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post

Brandon

if you can find one in the yard that hasn't been stripped yet, that's fine, but i've been looking for 2 years to find a replacement for mine. and usually when i end up with a break there aren't any available from someone who's parting one out. so i just end up repairing them.

New, it can be done. I've done mine about 4 different times now. your biggest problem will be getting all 7 oif those newly soldered wires to fit into the channels for the circuit board and still get it to sit right so you can screw everything back down. my best suggestion is to get some liquid electrical tape and cover the whole board after cleaning up the corrosion really well. it's seemed to help slow down my breaks so far.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You can get printed circuit repair kits from electronics parts stores or if you have a fine touch with a low amp soldering iron, you can put in some jumpers. A more productive approach would be to make your own "mini-harness" - just use the old "flex print" as a template and go to it.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

Sorry about that, I thought they were more common, and not mostly broken
H3RTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2009, 05:19 AM   #7
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Go to a decent size electronics store or search the Inet for "trace paint" It's basically a thin paint marker with silver dust paint. I've repaired keyboards and vid cards with it.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
Go to a decent size electronics store or search the Inet for "trace paint" It's basically a thin paint marker with silver dust paint. I've repaired keyboards and vid cards with it.
That's a great idea!!!! Do you think I would be better off with the silver based type like this http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...W100P-/200-175

Or would a copper based rear window defroster repair kit from an auto parts store work better?
Unread 01-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also, does anyone know if a 9YJ would have a printed circuit for the speedometer and tach unit? I know that they switched somewhere around there, but I'm not sure when. I found a 91YJ being parted out.
Unread 01-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
Alexsdad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The defroster repair kit gets my vote...you can trim the new fix and stick it on the board! Excellent suggestion!
Alexsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
Also, does anyone know if a 9YJ would have a printed circuit for the speedometer and tach unit? I know that they switched somewhere around there, but I'm not sure when. I found a 91YJ being parted out.
91's have a mechanical speedo with cable. Later years use the electronic.

To the Op, I guess the trace repair paint is worth a try. I have never used it, my experience is with "Circkit" repair kits which have various traces and lands to repair most circuit boards. What ever you chose to do, do not replace traces with wires. The traces act as circuit breakers and can blow when too much amperage is applied, but a wire in a trace's place could cook, and not burn open and possibly cause a fire.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
91's have a mechanical speedo with cable. Later years use the electronic.
Well there goes that idea.
Unread 04-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #13
svetlanay

You may try pcbmaking.com to get your job done quickly and effectively. It gives big discount on various PCB and also FREE shipping.
svetlanay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 07:53 AM   #14
sdoherty
1992 YJ Wrangler 

speedo

my speedo stops working and I have to hit it to bring it back - on the left side works best - sure would be nice to know which wire is the culprit.
sdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #15
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svetlanay View Post
You may try pcbmaking.com to get your job done quickly and effectively. It gives big discount on various PCB and also FREE shipping.
Only 5 years late ...

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.