Price check on a used Currie High 9 Rear axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Price check on a used Currie High 9 Rear axle

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 08-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
weerwolv

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Price check on a used Currie High 9 Rear axle

Hi folks,

Fellow is advertising a used Currie Hi 9 rear end for $1900 bucks on local craigslist

It comes with

4.10 gears
ARB installed
11" Drum Brakes

Came from YJ though not sure what lift was on it or SUA or SOA.

What should offer for something like that? Should I keep looking? I've read good things about the axle.

-Chris

weerwolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Chris,
while I don`t mean to be a dick. Why don`t you look on Currie`s web site and see how much a new one costs ? IIRC correctly you can "build" the rear end with gearing and ARB and come up with a cost.

Or is that to difficult ?
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
weerwolv

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey man,

Already went that route and priced it around $3200 or so.

Just wanted to know what folks thought a used one should price out. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. Wasn't intended...
weerwolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weerwolv View Post
Hey man,

Already went that route and priced it around $3200 or so.

Just wanted to know what folks thought a used one should price out. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. Wasn't intended...
Sorry Chris,
by the tone your post it was another kid wanting to be spoon fed.

As you have read the axle is pretty darn nice as long as you are keeping within it`s design capabilities tire size wise. It is actually he ring and pinion that wears on these centers.

The drum brakes would not be our first choice but set 20`s can be welded on and 8.8 disc`s added. Wonder if that drum is a parking brake also ?

What housing is the 3rd in ? Is the bolt pattern the same as your front ? Any idea of the shafts diameter/spline count ?

Your DS will love the higher pinion via less of an angle.

If it all checks out I`d show up with 15 big ones and wave it and settle for 1750.

One thing that has me confused though. Is it a CURRIE Hi 9 or is it a TruHi9 in a Currie housing ? The Currie centers had some goofy ratios and I not betting that 4.10 was one of them.

Now the TruHi9 is a totally different center section based off the Ford 9 inch. I was this close // to going with the TruHi9 but snapping pinion shafts and lubrication issues turned me away. Ended up with Currie RockJocks running the larger Super60 gear sets.

I`d want to be sure what I was buying as the names are to close to be totally descriptive.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.