Pressure Temp Switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pressure Temp Switch

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-29-2001, 06:17 PM   #1
Joe R

Pressure Temp Switch

I have an 87 YJ, and I'm trying to debug my temp gauge. For the most part it's pegged to the right all the time. I can't tell if it's the Sending unit, gauge or a short in the system, anyone run into this problem before & if so, can anyone suggest how to get an accurate reading ?

Thanks!
-Jr

Joe R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2001, 10:16 PM   #2
wilhelm

joe r , i had the same problem with my 87YJ when i first bought it . it turn out to be the wire was off of the sending unit . the sending unit is on the cyl. head near the back , above the last exhaust manifold port . a purple wire is supposed to connect to it . if the wire is connected , see if it is grounded somewhere . if not maybe there is a something grounding the gauge cluster from behind the dash . good luck
wilhelm nj
wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2001, 11:07 PM   #3
Joe R

Thanks for the suggestions Willhelm.
I did recently purchase a new sending unit.
I have yet to install it due to Finals @ school this week.

The connector to it seems to be fine, I still have yet to rule out a short behind the dash.

I found out some more info on the web: http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/choke.htm
that my (possibly bad) sending unit could be messing with my idle via a relay. This link was an intersting find. (and could potentially explain some of my idle problems)

At the same website listed above http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/diagnost.htm
I also found some more interesting information on the diagnostic connectors that will help me to determine what is messing with my choke motor & causing a bad idle. If I manually close my choke plate, I have a perfect idle. (just plain quirky)

Feel free to email me @ jrwired00@home.com

Thanks again for your response!

-Jr
Joe R is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.