Premium gas issues? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Premium gas issues?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #16
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with the above. Fuel has about a 2 month shelf life before it's done for. Clean your carb, replace your filter, and run regular 87 octane gas in it, or the lowest you can buy. As stated, higher octanes need more compression to burn as hot, the 4.2L is not high compression.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #17
Wyogunman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well and lower octane fuels have a higher vapor pressure and that makes them more explosive. It will help your old gas gain a little vapor pressure and in turn help it run a little better. Mine sat around for four months and started hard for two tanks before I could get all that crappy gas out of it.
Wyogunman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #18
Wyogunman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The real reason you use high octane fuel in high performance vehicles is because it's a slower and more controlled burn rather than a more violent explosion you get with the lower stuff. It makes it hard on the high compression stuff
Wyogunman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #19
RCYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainauti View Post
just a thought..... if the idle circuit is clogged, wouldnt that cause idle issues, reguardless of fuel demand?

OP, 4 month old fuel could be bad. if the ethanol fuel you had in your tank has separated, and/or sludged up, you could have clogged up the carb. get a rebuild kit and go to it. and when ever you lay anything up with fuel in it, use startron.
Yes, idle could either be clogged or jammed. I will check it out. I might have to do a rebuild or just get a new one which looks easier to do.
RCYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #20
RCYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogunman View Post
Well and lower octane fuels have a higher vapor pressure and that makes them more explosive. It will help your old gas gain a little vapor pressure and in turn help it run a little better. Mine sat around for four months and started hard for two tanks before I could get all that crappy gas out of it.
I siphoned out the other gas and put a couple gallons of 87. The engine starts out fine, but I could only idle when the engine is hot then I'm good to go.
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #21
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check the idle circuit might not flow enough fuel for the closed choke. Or the fuel could be dripping and spraying properly. Rebuild. Go for it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2011 F150 4x4 5.0 Coyote SVT Supercrew
2008 E450 v10 Jayco Greyhawk 28 (tildah)

captainauti is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #22
RCYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCYJ View Post
I siphoned out the other gas and put a couple gallons of 87. The engine starts out fine, but IT CAN'T idle when the engine is hot.
Fixed my previous post.
Unread 03-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #23
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

rebuild it.

Unread 03-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #24
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...if the ethanol fuel you had in your tank has separated...
I would put my money on this. Carb rebuild kits are cheap. In the meantime, a double dose of isopropyl drygas might give you back your idle. Probably not- but it might. If not, rebuild the carb.
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #25
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

drygas is alcohol. if its ethanol, its already 10% alcohol. dont add more it will only draw moisture into the fuel and condense in the tank. get startron additive. it will aid in the burn of the ethanol, and lengthen the shelf life of it. ive never been a believer in additives, but having used it in the marine field and seen what it does, im sold. dump some in it, double dose first treatment. highly recommend it in anything that sits. rebuild that carb.

Unread 03-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #26
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
drygas is alcohol. if its ethanol, its already 10% alcohol. .............
Drygas bonds to water and removes it from the tank - isopropyl alcohol, not ethanol.

Quote:
...get startron additive. it will aid in the burn of the ethanol, and lengthen the shelf life of it. ive never been a believer in additives, but having used it in the marine field and seen what it does, im sold...
Read the MSDS (they say to use alcohol-resistant foam to fight fire if it combusts)
Unread 03-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #27
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

yes, and with the ethanol fuels, every spring gallons of water is absorbed into large fuel tanks on boats. not nearly as an issue in the past with mtbe fuels. not going down the chemistry road here. just stating what works really well with fuels that sit for long periods.

Unread 03-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #28
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Try this before rebuilding:

Remove the air filter and stud (if you have one) from the carb. Have your buddy or girl standing by to turn over teh engine. Get a tight knit rag and cover the top of the carb with your paw holding the rag to seal it to the mouth of the carb. Have whomever hold the pedal to the floor and turn the engine over for five second a few times. If there are any minor obstructions, this will pull them out. Replace the stud and filter and then change your fuel filter and dump in a bottle of sea foam and run it.

I've done this a bunch and avoided unnecessary rebuilds. If your baby is going to sit for some time, adding a fuel stabilizer is a good idea.
Unread 03-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #29
RCYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Autoparts store around my way didn't have startron but had seafoam. I did the seafoam thing but didn't do the towel thing (can I just press the throttle while I do this) because I didn't have my son to assist this time. After seafoam, it seemed to work for a while at idle but after driving around the parking lot it started to idle rough and stall sometimes especially when I'm during a sharp turn. I started to take apart the carb but ran into some bolts that may need special size tools. Dead end. So I was thinking maybe I just need to really drive the Jeep instead of just driving around the parking lot. I put the carb back together but didn't get a chance to drive around because I had to watch the kids. If the weather is good tomorrow I will drive it around even if it stalls sometimes. If that still doesn't work maybe rebuild or just get a new one and just bolt it in.
Unread 03-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #30
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's not a magic fix it formula - it is Naptha and Isopropyl Alchohol. Essentially low-octane 'white gas' and isopropyl drygas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.