Preferance of repair manual for 88 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Preferance of repair manual for 88 YJ

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Sirptrk

Preferance of repair manual for 88 YJ

I have an 88 YJ with the straight 6 cylinder. I am needing to replace the water pump and all of the valve cover gasket and anything else that would cause oil leaks. What is everyones preferance as far as manuals to help me do this. I am not particularly a car repair guy but am mechanically inclined as I am a skilled machinist. Would like to hear your opinion on manuals to purchase.

Sirptrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

For doing maintenance and basic repairs like you are tackling then a Haynes or Chiltons is OK. Usually about $15-$20 a copy.
If you get into more involved work then a Factory Service Manual (FSM) may be called for.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me

there are free online FSMs for all our jeeps. If they were not so large people could email them back and forth..
But for what you doing, you can use Autozones free online repair guides..
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
Sirptrk

Which do you prefer Chilton or Haynes
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

At the very least get the Haynes, as people will correctly tell you they are not great, but have enough detail (organized for a non mechanic) to cover jobs like you describe. The factory service manual is far and away more detailed (but it also assumes you are a proficient mechanic, so it does not explain much to a person just starting out).

BTW Haynes also has manuals hard to find elsewhere:

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...1713&langId=-1

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
Sirptrk

Thanks for the info on the Autozone on line manuals, hadnt even contemplated something like that.
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirptrk View Post
Either one works well for moping up oil spills, or starting camp fires. Otherwise, neither one is much good for fixing Jeeps. If you are going to repair a Jeep, buy a Jeep Factory Service Manual.

Only $7.95 on-line, and I paid about $40 for a genuine CJ-7 FSM with genuine coffee and oil stains.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #8
Sirptrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Either one works well for moping up oil spills, or starting camp fires. Otherwise, neither one is much good for fixing Jeeps. If you are going to repair a Jeep, buy a Jeep Factory Service Manual.

Only $7.95 on-line, and I paid about $40 for a genuine CJ-7 FSM with genuine coffee and oil stains.
Where did you find it on-line and is it plain enough language for a do it yourselfer?
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirptrk View Post
Either one is fine, they are basically the same book. I have a Chilton for my Jeep and a Haynes for my Miata, you can't tell them apart once you open the cover.

Do yourself one favor though, and find the older version that covers 1987-1995 Wrangler/YJ. The newer books have 1987-2011 Jeep wranglers and you end up having to read through 12 different sets of instructions to figure out what is going on.

Not that anyone here knows Miata, but I had a book that covered 1990-2011 Miata (3 different body styles) and it was a nightmare trying to find what I needed. I ended up finding a friend with a 1990-1997 (same body style) book and traded him, now it is much better.
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I wish I did Tom. If you come across a 91 manual anywhere let me know.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I prefer chiltons for quick references especially for electrical things vs haynes.
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

and the 87/early 88 fsm can be found in a thread i did too. i have a link on google docs in a thread titled 87 fsm or something along the lines for it. i got it from one of the other guys on here
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The generic manuals are ok for finding out how many quarts of oil you need but that's about it; they cover too many years. For example the Chilton and hayes show a picture of the torque sequence for the exhaust manifold without mentioning that it's for the 4.0 and the 4.2 is different. There are also huge differences in the wiring diagrams from the older to newer models but the distinction is seldom pointed out.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
Jeepsr4me

I found the 91-95 YJ FSM somewhere on line.. I got it.. And I dang sure did not pay for it.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have the Haynes, and it has paid for itself. For general stuff it is more convenient that the FSM, which I also have. For example if you just want to know how to remove the heater box, the Haynes will put the info at your fingertips a lot faster than the FSM.

But as mentioned, the current Haynes covers far too many model years. If you can find an old used copy of the Haynes for just the YJ, snap that up. I've never seen one, but it should have less useless stuff to wade through.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.