Pre smog distributer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pre smog distributer

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Paranoia55

Pre smog distributer

Ok so I got the 1980 rebuilt distributer for the 4.2 at advance auto parts but now need to know how to find out if its the correct one with the right plates. I've heard for some that your just look down from the top and you tell buy the number and then from others that the number doesn't tell you what you need and that a tear down is needed to check. So if anyone has any idea lol please help

Paranoia55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/igniti...dvancehead.JPG

This is what you want to see. There have been reports that some recent rebuilds have new restrictor plates with no numbers, but are correct otherwise. You are looking at the degrees of travel, so without the numbers it should look the same.

Smog plates have very small amount of travel, and the windows look less than half this size
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Paranoia55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X
http://www.junkyardgenius.com/igniti...dvancehead.JPG

This is what you want to see. There have been reports that some recent rebuilds have new restrictor plates with no numbers, but are correct otherwise. You are looking at the degrees of travel, so without the numbers it should look the same.

Smog plates have very small amount of travel, and the windows look less than half this size
Sweet thx yeah I think mine has no numbers but from what I can see it looks to be a pre I guess when I open the other one up ill be able to see a difference. But is there's a special way I'm suppost to get the timing or is it the same as the way when you set up after nutter?
Paranoia55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Time it like a pre computer engine, vac advance disconnected and plugged during setting, reconnect when done. Set at 750 RPMs or so.

Most set to 8 degrees BTDC

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.