pre-1972 CJ headlights on YJ harness - want to do relay - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > pre-1972 CJ headlights on YJ harness - want to do relay

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

pre-1972 CJ headlights on YJ harness - want to do relay

So my brains are severely fried from being on calls for work all hours, and trying to get my rig going for Tennessee Jeep Jamboree. I am doing some research, but if anybody has been down this road that would point me in the right direction, well, that would be in the right direction.

So I have a 1965 CJ5 grille sitting on a YJ frame and harness. The headlights only have 2 wires, red and black. Connecting red to positive and black to ground produces light. So I think I have that part straight

I tested the YJ harness by turning on the headlight switch, and checking the pins in the YJ connectors. From black to red on the drivers side I get 12V when the headlight switch is on. Don't think I tried it with the headlight switch off... There is another wire that is hot when the high beams are on. I didn't connect it to anything.

Ok now stay with me on this one. So I wired up a 12V relay. I ran the power source wire to a fuse and the positive battery terminal. I ran the accessory pin to the headlights, tied together positive to positive. In parallel in electronics terms. I ran the switch power on the relay to the red wire on the YJ drivers side headlight pin. I ran the black wire from the YJ headlight to the relay ground. I ran the headlight grounds in parallel and grounded them to the passenger fender skin. I screwed down the ground wires from the wiring loom on each side of the grill to the fender wells.

When I switch on the headlights, the relay clicks and the headlights and signal lamps come on. Hooray! When I switch off the headlights, the relay stays on...

It stays on...

Unread 04-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know! I just bought 1984 CJ 7 lights. And they plugged right into my YJ harness, and I've got lights.
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Shoot. Man I wish mine had those lights!

I read the schematic on the internet, I like to stare at schematics. Anyways the colors on mine of course are different from the ones in the schematics, but I have a pretty good picture in my head of how the headlights circuit works. So doing testing I thought I knew which wire on my headlights matched which wire on the schematic.

I just don't know why a headlight wire would be hot all the time... If it is.

Anyways I'm done playing for the day. My fenders came but they are post-72 fenders, too long
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
jimbob78cj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What's the rating on the relay you installed? You may be pushing too much current through it for it to switch properly if it's under-rated.

-jim

"Stupid Should Hurt" - Bumper sticker seen on Jeep
jimbob78cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob78cj View Post
What's the rating on the relay you installed? You may be pushing too much current through it for it to switch properly if it's under-rated.

-jim
Yeah man, that's interesting. I will get the box and check.
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I turn off the light switch, and then hit the high beam, the lights turn off

Also the grille is barely mounted. But I don't think the grille being grounded does anything.

The relay is a Napa AR419. I'll look into it. Thanks!
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

from http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-Installation

(NAPA p/n AR419). These are 40 amp relays that are made by TYCO (TYCO p/n VF4-55F11-Z10). They have a mounting clip to attach them to the inside of a relay box (get a small project box from Radio Shack). Using my Dremel tool and a cutoff wheel, I cut square holes in the side of the relay box to allow the relays to be inserted through the box. Make the holes just large enough to slide the relay through, but small enough to prevent the relay lip from slipping through as well. The lip should help seal the relays from moisture. Then bolt the mounting clip of each relay to the bottom of the box, plug in the connectors that are included with this AR419 package. They have leads for connecting to the OEM harness and the new relay harness that I was preparing to build. They consist of one 12 AWG lead for power (prong 30), one 12 AWG lead for high beam or low beam (prong 87), one 14 AWG lead for connecting to the high beam or low beam OEM wiring harness (prong 86), one 14 AWG lead for connecting to the OEM wiring harness ground (prong 85). The lead from prong 87a was not connected to anything (not needed).
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Found the 1995 specific diagram. The wire that I am using to trigger the relay is the high beam wire. Probably too much juice to use as a signal to trip the relay.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...528008ad75.gif

The red wire is tied to the HIGH BEAM INDICATOR lamp as well as the headlights. So I am going to try it with the low beam wire.
Unread 04-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
Fernando
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

This might help, I rewired my headlights with relays long ago, I did it a bit differently though... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...ation-1093148/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Fernando, haven't seen you around in a while. Glad to see you here!

Idso, the relay conrtrol side is only a few milliamps so no it is not too much. It is easy enough to wire up. The wiring sounds right on the money. You are oversized on the controll side pins 85 and 86. If you were losing ground or power the lights would fail off as the relay should be a normally open. I cant check the spec for the relay but it sounds like you got the wrong relay. If the foot print in the relay socket is the same throw the horn relay in it and see what it does.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
Fernando
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hello Que89YJ!

Well I had quite a situation with the Jeep and clogged lifters... I'll send you a PM about it... it's nice to be back I've been very busy I will try to stick around more often.

Sorry to hijack the thread! but yes, wiring seems good... try another relay and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Fernando, haven't seen you around in a while. Glad to see you here!

Idso, the relay conrtrol side is only a few milliamps so no it is not too much. It is easy enough to wire up. The wiring sounds right on the money. You are oversized on the controll side pins 85 and 86. If you were losing ground or power the lights would fail off as the relay should be a normally open. I cant check the spec for the relay but it sounds like you got the wrong relay. If the foot print in the relay socket is the same throw the horn relay in it and see what it does.
Ok thanks for the idea!

I talked to a mechanic friend lar308, he says the wiring sounds right. We went through the pins like you are saying.

I haven't finished bolting everything up, so I guess I should finish assembling the Jeep. Then if I still have wiring gremlins I can tinker with it, but still have a functioning Jeep.

Maybe the grounds will be happier when the grille is bolted in etc.
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

With everything bolted up the headlights work normally. No parking lights though, gonna try tying the other turn signal wire to the positive on the light.
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

So YJ turn signals have two power sources. One for parking lights or when the headlights are on, one for turn signals. You can't tie them together, the turn signal flashers won't flash. So I just wired the turn signal wires to the turn signals. They do not come on with the headlights or when the parking light switch is on. But the turn signals work fine.

I am thinking of a scheme where I could use a couple more relays. If the headlight/parking light switch is on, that will connect through a normally closed relay to the turn signals. Since the relay is closed, the turn signals will light up normally. When the turn signal power is added, it would open the relay and disconnect the turn signals from the headlight/parking circuit. I need to also present the turn signal power to the lamp assembly, which would let the flashers work since the relay is open. If the relay would let me have a different 12v source for closed than for open, it would all work with one relay per side.

Or I can just leave it alone hahaha Here is how she is looking nowadays.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.