Powertrax locker install. 8.8 limited slip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Powertrax locker install. 8.8 limited slip

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Powertrax locker install. 8.8 limited slip

So I want to put a locker in the rear of my 8.8

Its a limited slip carrier, and the only lunchbox type that I've found for a limited slip in the 8.8 is Richmond Powertrax (Lock-Right). I've read some reviews here on JF and people seem to like it (that and the Aussie).

Except to change diff fluid and replacing the seals in the D30, I've never done anything with a differential, so I'm a little apprehensive about doing it myself, but I guess you have to learn sometime, eh?

My question is should I just pay the extra money for the Powertrax for the limited slip carrier..... or should I change the LS to an open and then install a Powertrax or Aussie for an open 8.8?

Also, anyone know a good website to get the best deal on such a locker? Thankx a mill.

You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
kirksjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Swapping over to an open carrier will requires the gears to be set up, so you will have to pay for the labor to do it. I installed an Aussie in my open carrier and if the power trax is similar I say try it your self. It was not that hard to do. I just took my time and followed the directions.
1992 YJ Sahara- 4.5" RE XD, 1" BL, 1" MML, 35" BFG MT, 8.8 w/Aussie, D30 w/Ten Factory shafts/ Aussie, 4:10 gears, Soild Diff Covers, SYE, CV Drive shaft, OBA, Flowmaster Super 44,, Custom head pipe, Super Chip, Boared out TB, Rock It Intake , Goferit Tie Rod Flip, 99+ intake manifold/Steering pump, custom front/rear bumpers,Hand Throttle, Hurst Shifter, Smitty Built sliders , 6" TJ flairs, Kilby belly up skid, Quadratech 9K winch, ZJ PS cooler. 01 XJ Sport-2" lift, 31x10.50 MT/ 02 Liberty 2" Lift
kirksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If it were me I'd pay the extra money for the locker that fits the carrier you have. If you change the whole thing it defeats the only benefit of buying the lunchbox locker, ease of installation. With the new carrier you will have to set up the gears again just like you would with a full locker.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Matt_vs_YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you have any friends that have experience with gear swaps, then it would be pretty easy to change the carrier on an 8.8". The only adjustment that would need to be made is the backlash, and since the shims are outside the bearings, then it's really pretty easy.

At almost $500 for the Powertrax, and around $260 for an Aussie, it's worth the carrier swap if you can find some help for cheap.
Matt_vs_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The lunchbox locker is definitely easier and cheaper. I've been running them for years. I had to change my driving style but its not too bad. If I was going to get a locker with a new carrier, I'd get something selectable like OX, ARB, or an electric one. But that's just me. If you do get one with a new carrier, I recommend getting someone to set it up. I setup my gears and it was time consuming and frustrating, a great learning experience though. I think if I do it again it would be easier. The biggest issue are the tools needed.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

^ But like Matt said, the Powertrax LockRight for a LS carrier is around $500..... unless somebody knows a good website where I can get one for cheaper.

That's sort of my whole dilemma. Pay the $500 and do it myself, or pay $600 for an Eaton and then an extra (insert astronomical figure here) in labor.

I'm probably going to end up with the LockRight. I'm a grad student, so I'll have all winter break to work on it (plus install a 1" BL and 1" MML).
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Unread 09-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #7
Matt_vs_YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I still think you could change out the carrier (including buying tools) and get an Aussie for less than the price difference between that and Powertrax. It wouldn't require you to completely redo the gears. In fact, you could leave the pinion alone and that's what I found the hardest/most time consuming part. Setting the backlash is easy. Search for some Mustang gear installs and ignore the parts about pinion depth and pinion bearing preload. I bet you'd be surprised how simple a differential really is.

Btw, is this a DD or a trail rig? If it's a trail rig... spool it!
Matt_vs_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
FuzznYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just installed my 8.8 last week. I have a Lock Rite in my half ton dodge and love it. So I went with a Powertrax in my 8.8 with open carrier, also love it! I went with the powertrax so that I did not hear the ratcheting. I bought my Powertrax on Ebay for $225. That is the best place in my opinion.

New Superior 4:56 gears and Powertrax locker.
Unread 09-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
WCoon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I thought only the No-Slip fit the 8.8 LS? If the lockright will fit here's one for $307 Powertrax Lock-Right Locker 1822-LR | Ford 8.8".
WCoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_vs_YJ View Post
Btw, is this a DD or a trail rig? If it's a trail rig... spool it!
Half DD, half trail. Its my DD from May until the end of August. Rest of the time its trail only. Which is why at first I was thinking of selectable locker.... but then I realized that would be a waste of money. I can save money with a lunchbox and still buy that 1" BL I want and it'll still be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoon
I thought only the No-Slip fit the 8.8 LS?
Thats what I'm confused on.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN POWERTRAX AND LOCK RIGHT? I thought they were the same thing. When you go to Richmond's website there is a link for Powertrax and a separate link for Lock Right..... but then I try to search and every site calls it "Powertrax Lock Right." I'm going to call the 800 number on Richmond's website tomorrow and ask some questions.... just thought I'd ask you guys now as well.

Here is a link I found: http://www.my4by.com/powertrax-lockr...er-p-2680.html

Last edited by Axl Jack; 09-10-2009 at 10:34 PM..
Unread 09-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
FuzznYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The Lock Rite and Powertrax are two seperate lockers. They look almost the same. My understanding is that the Lock Rite was the first design and the Powertrax the one to follow. I know that with the Lock Rite when you turn etc. you can really hear it ratcheting. With the Powertrax you do not hear anything. Also I have heard that the Powertrax may be slightly stronger? But I am not sure on that. Powertrax costs more as well.

The Lock Rite's and Powertrax have seperate part numbers as well as you will see on Richmonds website.
Unread 09-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

^ Did you click on the link? Everywhere I go the title will say, "Powertrax Lock Rite" and the description on the site says "Powertrax 1822-LR is for use on 1987 and newer Ford 8.8" axles with any gear ratio with 31-spline shafts. "
Unread 09-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
her94yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if your only driving it as your dd for a few months of the year i would SPOOOL it. i drove a spool in the 14 bolt in my old jeep as my weekend worrior and just had to change my driving habits. as long as its not a 100 mile commuter a day then a spools not that hard on things and very cheap and a very easy install. even though i drove 50 miles a day in my 89 i am considering spooling the front and rear since it will have lock outs on the 60. and just adjust how i drive. but thats still 3 months away..

either way you go is better then the lsd just look ahead and see what your goal for the jeep is a year or two down the road and plan ahead
His 89 4 inch super lift flat fenders,winch,8.8 lsd4:10s,44 front locked revolvers all 4 corners,soon to be building a half hard top now for the winter,

,94 4.0 stock gears, 4 inch RC 31x12. 15 procompXT,locked front,and rear
her94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 04:59 AM   #14
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think you will like a lunchbox in the rear. I have driven Mustangs with them and it felt like the rear end stepped out several inches when it would release going around a corner. It would be even worse on a short wheelbase Jeep. I wheel with a guy that put one in his D44 and one day of driving it was enough. He took it out the next day and sold it.
Unread 09-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998zj View Post
I don't think you will like a lunchbox in the rear. I have driven Mustangs with them and it felt like the rear end stepped out several inches when it would release going around a corner. It would be even worse on a short wheelbase Jeep. I wheel with a guy that put one in his D44 and one day of driving it was enough. He took it out the next day and sold it.
I've been running my Detroit EZ-Locker in my D35 for about 4 years now. 3 years ago I put a Lock-Right up front in my D30. I have loved them ever since. Yes you will find that it acts differently but just from my own experience, if you change your driving style you can make it a decent ride and not notice it. For the money you pay for a lunchbox, I think its a good deal.

I still can't figure out how you hear the rear end ratcheting. I only hear mine when I have the top and doors off with my head sticking down near the wheels. Then again, my engine is loud and sounds like a diesel.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.