powertrax lock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > powertrax lock

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
superduty06
1989 YJ Wrangler 

powertrax lock

Does any one know anything about the powertrax lock-right locker the so called [lunch box] locker. Does it unlock for turns and how does it work on snow and ice?

superduty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a lock rite up front. Shop installed with my regear. I have made four dirt runs and with the TJ shaft on the passenger side I actually like it in the dirt. It will jerk the steering when you jump on the gas so you have to watch yourself a little but no big deal. There are times it is tougher to get the front tires to bite instead if sliding but not really an issue. Locks and unlocks no problem.

No snow in the Las Vegas valley but we did some snow sledding in the YJ last winter so I will find out in a couple months.

I also put a Yukon Grizzly in the 8.8 in the rear. Well behaved on the street as long as you don't jump on it in the turn. If you do you could be swapping lanes. Clicks but I din't hear it unless I am hanging out the window.

I love em both dirt, loose rick and rock crawling has been great. The front uphill positive pull is fantastic.

Mt YJ is a weekend toy not a DD so I am comfortable with it and live the new traction. No more hardassing over the rocks or on the hills all positive traction.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty06
Does any one know anything about the powertrax lock-right locker the so called [lunch box] locker. Does it unlock for turns and how does it work on snow and ice?
The will ratchet when not under load while turning. If you get on the throttle, it will act like any other locker or spool.

For snow and ice conditions, I would never have anything but a selectable locker.

If it makes a difference, the only lock right that I've owned broke within 3 weeks. The I got a Detroit. I have arb's now and probably always will regardless of the off road vehicle they are in.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The lock-right is an older model, not that it doesn't work but makes clicking noise when engaging and disengaging to some ppl that can be annoying.
They have a new model a bit more $$ PowerTrax No Slip (92-0430-2700).

If you use them in the front they do not engage until 4h/4l is selected. so when you are in 2 wheel drive you do not notice you have a locker installed.

I do not have them installed but have seen them in action and i will be getting the No Slip series installed in my Dana 30

Both are great lockers one makes a lot of noise the other makes very little but that's not the only difference.
Front D30 (4.88 w/ Powertrax No-Slip) -- Rear 8.8 (4.88 w/ ARB) -- Front Custom Bumper -- Custom Side Rock Guards -- Dual Snorkel (Coming Soon)
djfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
superduty06
1989 YJ Wrangler 

lock-right

Thank you for the information I am thinking of putting a lock-right in the back of my yj, I see you use them in the front but not in back. Is there a reason for not using them in the back also?
superduty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

In the Rear i would go with a selectable locker, example ARB.
Reason is in Rain/Snow when you use lockers like Powertrax and your doing a turn left/right it can lock up on you.

Here is the Pros/Cons for Automatic Lockers:
  • Pros: Automatic action, no driver interaction necessary, no stopping for (dis-) engagement necessary
  • Cons: Increased tire wear and noticeable impact on driving behavior. During cornering, the automatic locker is characterized by heavy understeer which transitions instantly to power oversteer when traction is exceeded.
Front D30 (4.88 w/ Powertrax No-Slip) -- Rear 8.8 (4.88 w/ ARB) -- Front Custom Bumper -- Custom Side Rock Guards -- Dual Snorkel (Coming Soon)
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't dump any money into a d35. I put a locker and chromos in mine when I had it. But that was only because I got it all for free.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ +1
Weak Axle

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.