power steering fluid.... mercon 5 V ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > power steering fluid.... mercon 5 V ?

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 01-29-2014, 02:38 AM   #1
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

power steering fluid.... mercon 5 V ?

Sooooooooo i was going to turkey baster out my PS fluid in my YJ and I have like 5 quarts of Mercon 5 that's collecting dust from a prior Fucus.

I have a feeling it would be fine to use, cause the additives should only matter for trans clutches, but searching isnt finding much that anyone has used this instead of the special mopar magic fluid or dex.

Mercon V good to use?

Unread 01-29-2014, 05:00 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've been using ATF in as power steering fluid for years now. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, I'm just telling you what my experience is. I even had a squeal years ago in the pump. When I pulled the motor I changed the fluid to ATF and it went away. I now change it every several years and have had no issues. It is, afterall, hydraulic fluid.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That's my thought as well, it's all hydraulic fluid. I guess my concern is the additive package(s) differences in merc vs dex vs mope.
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
That's my thought as well, it's all hydraulic fluid. I guess my concern is the additive package(s) differences in merc vs dex vs mope.
I don't know how it affects it but I always used the cheapest ATF at the parts store.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.