Power Steering! :D Conversion. :( - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Power Steering! :D Conversion. :(

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #46
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The jack or the rebuild kit? Lol. I'll take a look at the jack and see what numbers I can pull off it.

caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #47
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
Reservoir is now in my hands! Pulled it out of a 91 Volvo 940

(action shot, expect a bit of blurriness)

Reservoir:

Donor Car: (pictures for reference in case anybody else wants to get this reservoir)

Here's my Volvo reservoir installed.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #48
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Mr. B! I was looking at your shot earlier trying to figure out how you mounted yours. Then I saw that you also nabbed the bracket. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a belt, then maybe take a crack at this. Right now, everything is soaking in PB blaster.

Also, how low is the reservoir? just above the frame?
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #49
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Part 1: Let's get started!

What we are starting with.

Take out that fan shroud, it frees up a lot of space...I'm thinking an E-Fan would be a really good next modification!

Here you can see the idler bracket on the driver side, next to the air box. You can see one that needs to be removed, on the front. There is another below the idler, on the tension adjustment bracket. What you can't see, and I didn't take a picture of, are the two bolts behind the idler, both are adjustment bolts. You'll see their location in the next picture. It's a tight fit on the upper bolt. Bottom was a bit easier.

Idler removed! You can also see plug for the sensor. I believe it's the idle up switch? Something like that.

Pump installed! There was a stud on the pump that goes on the front adjustment bracket. Found a nut and a washer that fit, good to go! You can reuse the two rear bolts, the top front. There was one extra bolt on the idler that was not reused. New serpentine belt also installed. It's just a tad bit bigger than the old one.

Tomorrow? Part 2: The bastage pitman arm.
Unread 05-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #50
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm glad your doing this and putting the picks in the thread. Going to help me a lot in the coming weeks. So do you need a new belt? looks like the idler and the pump pulley are the same size or close.

thanks,

cb
az_zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #51
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't bother trying the old belt. I assume it won't fit. There was a specific belt/pn for no ac with PS.

Just think of it as a bit of preventative maintenance lol
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #52
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
Thanks Mr. B! I was looking at your shot earlier trying to figure out how you mounted yours. Then I saw that you also nabbed the bracket. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a belt, then maybe take a crack at this. Right now, everything is soaking in PB blaster.

Also, how low is the reservoir? just above the frame?
It's a about 3" above the frame. It was the only place I could find to mount it with the original bracket, so I could fill it without removing something else. It's a little lower than I would like, but works fine. I do like to keep the fluid level a little higher than the Volvo indicator wants.

Also, I noticed that you don't have a clutch fan shroud. If you need one, I still have mine, if you want it.

And yes, you do need a new belt.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #53
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
It's a about 3" above the frame. It was the only place I could find to mount it with the original bracket, so I could fill it without removing something else. It's a little lower than I would like, but works fine. I do like to keep the fluid level a little higher than the Volvo indicator wants.

Also, I noticed that you don't have a clutch fan shroud. If you need one, I still have mine, if you want it.

And yes, you do need a new belt.
By the by, your pitman arm will be in the mail tomorrow morning.
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #54
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mr. B, I took it off for the install. I'm thinking about just mounting it to the air box for now, and then picking up a stock reservoir. I don't like how the lines are twisted up.
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #55
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
By the by, your pitman arm will be in the mail tomorrow morning.
"Well roll me in butter, and dip me in nuts!"
-Berta, from Two and a half Men

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #56
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Power Steering Conversion, Part 2: The Bastage Pitman Arm!

Why hello there Mr. Pitman. I see you've showered in a bit of PB Blaster.

MEET MR. HAMMER!

Queue bang noises, KERPLOW stills from Batman (with Adam West.)
A few GOOD whacks with a hammer on the pitman arm and the drag link will fall right out.

Looks like the hard part was done. Or was it?! Stay tuned for more...

Next you'll want to undo the bolt on the steering shaft. It's cut off by the radiator in the picture, but you'll see it. It's VERY easy to turn the linkage around now that the drag link is off, to get the best access to the bolt. Don't worry about the steering wheel alignment either, it's not affected, now that the drag link is off.

Then you have these 4 bolts to remove. Only 3 actually hold the box in. The bolt on the frame closest to the shackle, and the two lower bolts. There was a nut holding the last bolt to the frame. I didn't realize that until after I started removing the box, and caught a visual on it.

Here are the bolts removed. I used a jack to hold the box up while I removed the bolts. It's a bit easier than trying to hold that box and remove the bolts at the same time. Keep in mind, the steering shaft is still attached to the box, and it's helping to keep the box steady. You don't want to forget this, drop the box down, and have it yank on the steering shaft like I did. Notice the last bolt still in the frame.

Bolt reference picture. On the bottom is the steering shaft bolt. Next is the frame bolt. The other two are the lower bracket bolts.

And it's out!! You can see my Power Steering box is a bit bigger. It also has 4 threaded holes for it to bolt to the frame/bracket. This was when I realized the last bolt needs to come out. I don't know if this is actually a YJ steering box, or a different one? I was under the impression the power steering box was the same 3 bolt configuration.

Here it is installed. Installation is reverse of removal, just jack it up, put the bolts back in, attach drag link to pitman arm, done. Don't forget the cotter pin in the castle nut!

Putting the pressure line was a hassle. The return line was already on, since mine came attached to the box. I had to remove the radiator from the grille/support, left the hoses attached, and supported it out of the way So I could get enough turning radius with a wrench. (18MM wrench by the way)

Lastly, we have the steering shaft. We shall call him Pitman's brother.

Here he is, with his collar on.

Take the collar off, and you see he's a dirty fighter.

Now he's being soaked in PB Blaster. I need to adjust the steering shaft in a bit to fit the box. I'm also wondering if maybe it would have been a better plan of action to attach the shaft before bolting up the box. I shall see tomorrow morning...

Stay tuned for Part 3: The Adventures of Shaft!
Unread 05-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #57
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Part 3.

As I suspected, the shaft probably does not move, or is way too corroded to bother with. I removed the steering box bolts, cleaned up the joint/teeth of the steering shaft clamp, cleaned the steering box gear teeth, and put it together.

No pictures, but it's simple enough to figure out. It was a bit of a bear getting the box back on the frame with all the lines attached. This lead to me removing the radiator once again to have enough space to line everything up.

My Jeep now has some Toyota blood in it. I had it lying around, and this stuff isn't cheap, so I might as well get my money's worth from it!

I mounted (3m double sided tape) my reservoir to the air box. The weight of the fluid didn't hold well with the tape, and it started peeling off. Put the bracket back on, zip tied it out of the way for now. This is definitely temporary, as I am hunting down the stock reservoir as I type this. The stock lines are made to go a certain way, and I'll just feel better if the proper reservoir is there. The Volvo reservoir IS fine. It is just MY preference to get the stock part. I just don't like the lines doubling back like they are doing with this reservoir. You can see there is plenty of clearance for the Volvo reservoir. If I wasn't to impatient, I'd make it work.

Lot's of frothy bubbles. This is air that is/was trapped in the lines/pump/box. I filled up the reservoir, as soon as I turned it on, I had to almost completely refill it, and I think I put enough for another 'refill' of the reservoir. Have a few quarts of fluid on hand. Turn the wheel lock to lock a bunch of times, keep topping off the fluid, and keep watching the air bubbles come out. there are still quite a bit of bubbles in the system. It's almost like a steady stream, like carbonated soda.

So now I need to get a belt tension gauge, since all the other serpentine belt vehicles I've used had spring loaded tensioners on them, no need for adjustments, just slap on and go. I probably have the belt too loose. Major squealage on startup, and I don't want to burn up any bearings or anything when I don't have to.
The pump is whining a bit, but I believe that is due to air still in the system. It whined a whole bunch when I first fired up the rig, then it quieted real quick as I filled up the reservoir. The good news is there are no leaks that I can see!

I guess there will be a part 4 to this write up, which sucks because most good movie series end in trilogies. Dark Knight trilogy, Star Wars (the original!) Indiana Jones etc.
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #58
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

So you haven't driven it yet? Watch out for over-steer on your first drive.

Get some of this:

Believe it or not, it will get rid of your belt squeal. It's only temporary though. They sell it at O'Reilly's, but I'm sure you can get it anywhere.

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #59
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Not yet. I need to make sure the belt is good to go and the reservoir is on it's way soon.
Unread 05-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #60
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

IT'S DONE!! Belt is tightened, and the steering is tight and easy! It feels so different now...so perfect. There was a tension bolt/spacer on the bottom bracket. I forgot to put that on. I found it (it was removed when I removed the idler pulley, so every Jeep should have one) and put it on. It's a rectangular piece with 2 threaded holes. My pump slid through the upper hole instead of threading in, and the bolt goes through the bottom, driver->passenger. The original bolt was messed up, so I found a different one in my drawer of bolts that was long enough. It should be a M8x1.25, and about 5 inches or so. Yes, metric. I don't get Jeep, the mix of metric and standard bolts/threads really irks me.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...KR2_0006447252

This gauge is worth every penny. Went into the store yesterday, they had ordered and in the store by 9am when I got there. Very simple to use. Once the belt was tensioned to spec, started the Jeep, no whining from the pump, no squealing from the belt.

The stock power steering reservoir is on it's way. For now, the Volvo reservoir is zip tied to the intake bracket box.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.