Power Steering! :D Conversion. :( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Power Steering! :D Conversion. :(

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 04-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Power Steering Conversion 2.5L (completed!)

Ok, I'm about to bite the bullet on this conversion.

I have a 2.5, no AC/PS.

As far as I know, I need the pump, pulley, high pressure/return lines, gear box, reservoir, and new serpentine belt.

I want to get over to the JY today and start hunting down parts.

The main thing i'm looking for would be the gear box. I know that doesn't matter as an XJ or YJ will work.

The pump, is only 75 before the core charge from a shop. No pulley. Can I use the old idler pulley that's on the rig now?

Also, with the pump, do I need a different bracket to mount it? That, I can't remember if it is confirmed on one of the main PS conversion threads here.

Lines I can get new from the shop.

Reservoir I'm hoping I can find one that will work. If I can find a 2.5 XJ I should be good to go on ripping everything out of it

Other than that I think I should be set, right?

(thank you guy in sacramento area with the PS conversion thread...you're helping me pull the trigger on this one!)

caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mr. B's power steering thread is the one I am referencing.
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

U cannot use ur current pulley, go to the junkyard and get a pump that already has the pulley attached off of an xj, steel the lines too if they r in good shape. Everything should bolt right on to urs. If u want I upgrade the gearbox, get one off a v8 Durango instead I the xj. Otherwise u can take everything right of the xj n out it on urs. Only thing ull need to get at the parts store is a new belt and some ATF to fill it up with. Also it doesn't need to be from a 4 cylinder xj, u can take it off a 6 cylinder. They all use the same pump, pulley, and gearbox.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
lutzke21
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't recall using a different bracket, I think I bolted my pump in place of the idler. But it's been nearly ten years since I did mine...and I can't refresh my memory by looking at it currently. I also ended up using a remote res from a GC as my donor pump was only a pump.

+1 on the Durango box. Lose a bit of radius, but gain some power. Stock box will wearout with bigger tires.

When I was done though, I fricken loved it. Sooo much nicer.

Good luck.

'94 YJ on 35s

JULY 2013 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I recall reading that the 4.0 pumps had the res attached. Is that not true for all the pumps?
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Xjs all have the reservoir attached, yjs did not. U can use the ones with the attached reservoir on a yj tho, it's really not worth the trouble to take it off unless u already have the stock yj reservoir. The pump/pulley will take the place of ur old idler pulley that sat there, it is also used to adjust the tension of the belt.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzke21 View Post
I don't recall using a different bracket, I think I bolted my pump in place of the idler. But it's been nearly ten years since I did mine...and I can't refresh my memory by looking at it currently. I also ended up using a remote res from a GC as my donor pump was only a pump.

+1 on the Durango box. Lose a bit of radius, but gain some power. Stock box will wearout with bigger tires.

When I was done though, I fricken loved it. Sooo much nicer.

Good luck.
I did the Durango swap and lost radius also. Put a pitman arm from a GC in place of the stock YJ pitman arm and got most, if not all of my radius back.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

caoboy, if you haven't already check out NorcalJeepers.co

All of us remotely close to you are over there, including Mr.B. Also there's a guy in Lathrop parting out a XJ that you may be able to get a lot of what you need from.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

We have some power steering stuff around. Don't buy from the guy in Lathrop, he's a crook.
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
We have some power steering stuff around. Don't buy from the guy in Lathrop, he's a crook.
You have a PM.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Nick what do you have? Name your price!
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
caoboy, if you haven't already check out NorcalJeepers.co

All of us remotely close to you are over there, including Mr.B. Also there's a guy in Lathrop parting out a XJ that you may be able to get a lot of what you need from.
I just hopped on board over there. Thanks for the invite
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
Nick what do you have? Name your price!
Dan has all the pulleys to convert and has a lead on two boxes and two pumps. He's converting another (his third) Yj to power steering for the trail.
Unread 04-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have Multi-port fuel injection on your '91? If not, you can get by with a pump reservoir combo.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I do have mpfi. Its a 91 2.5

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.