Power Master alternator install help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Power Master alternator install help

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Power Master alternator install help

The last time I had the Jeep out it puked up the old alternator and Optima Red Top. So I exchanged the battery for a new one and finally bought a 140amp Power Master alternator to replace the old one. I started to install it today and after mounting it I started to remove the "charge" wire from the harness to replace it with the included heavier one. Well the new cable has a ring terminal on both ends and when I got to the end of the factory wire it came to a "fuse-able link" and a Y. After the Y it goes to a block on the fire wall that has two post connectors. It is just below the battery tray and to the right of the engine; the battery side. I am not sure if it is a distribution block or an external regulator? Tthe regulator is internal on the GM IS12 style alternator, right? I am working on an '89 YJ with a 2.5l. I am a little confused at the time. I believe that I could just cut the wire at the Y, effectively removing the fuse-able link, and bear a spot on the new wire and solder them together correct? Then use the ring terminal on the replacement wire to connect to the block. This "block" on the firewall has thrown me a bit. Anybody know what it is? I could realy use a hand.

Last edited by 89YJBuilder; 12-18-2012 at 10:12 AM..
89YJBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bump
Unread 12-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
trboxman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Power Master 140 amp alternator on my '87 4.2, it's not an external voltage regulator. It may be your starter solenoid/relay.
Unread 12-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Message Que89yj. He is the tech forums electrical guru/god. He will explain to you all of your question and explain how to mod this the right way.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Message Que89yj. He is the tech forums electrical guru/god. He will explain to you all of your question and explain how to mod this the right way.
This X2.... where has Que been lately?
Unread 12-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post

This X2.... where has Que been lately?
I have been wondering that myself. Hopefully he is on a vacation having fun

Sent from my PC36100 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OKay. I know that the starter solenoid is mounted to the starter housing so I'll bet it is the relay. I never figured that the charging wire would go to the starter relay? I'll do some more research and try to contact Que89yj.
Thanks all.
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
wncYJ

-
wncYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That would be outstanding! Thank you very much.

kg6ysf@yahoo.com
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
wncYJ

-
wncYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks all for the input. I tried to contact Que89yj. But so far I have not heard from him/her.
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #12
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well I cut the factory charge wire at the Y. I left the remaining wire connected and then ran the new charge wire to the same connector post that the factory wire runs to. I also ran a #10 wire from the alternator mounting bolt to the engine block, and one from the same bolt to the frame.
If anybody can see a problem with this please let me know. Thanks.
Unread 12-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

For a hi amp install...

Run the new Powerlead from the alt to the battery (should be 4 awg or larger) with a 150 amp fuse or circuit breaker.

Run new grounds 4 awg also. 1. alt to block, 2. battery to block and 3. block to chassis (10 g is a bit small)

Feed to PDC directly from the battery

feed starter directly from the battery

NO SOLDERING mid point as mentioned. use ring terminals on ends to have solid connections..
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

According to Power Master tech support, all that is needed is to run the supplied wire to the battery and add a ground from the alternator mounting bolt to he frame or engine block. #10 is well suitable. Thanks to all who have added input.
Looks like I will be undoing some of what I did. I wish I would have waited to talk to them before doing anything. Not the first time I have had to undo something that I did do to lack of patience. Oh well live & learn.
Unread 12-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89YJBuilder View Post
According to Power Master tech support, all that is needed is to run the supplied wire to the battery and add a ground from the alternator mounting bolt to he frame or engine block. #10 is well suitable. Thanks to all who have added input.
Looks like I will be undoing some of what I did. I wish I would have waited to talk to them before doing anything. Not the first time I have had to undo something that I did do to lack of patience. Oh well live & learn.
Just remember that its your jeep and not powermasters... All other Hi Amp Alt upgrades have includes the big 3...

•Upgrade the charge lead from the alternator output stud to the battery
•Upgrade the return path between the alternator and vehicle ground
•Upgrade the return path between the battery negative (-) and the vehicle ground

and most recommend matching gauge wire for grounds... Might as do it right the first time and not worry down the road...

Just food for thought. Good luck
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.