power to the coil but no spark from the distributor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > power to the coil but no spark from the distributor

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 07-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
97tjeff
2008 JK Wrangler 

power to the coil but no spark from the distributor

I was driving the jeep home friday and it just died (I've been having spark issues). I replaced the coil, the distributor, the rotor, cap, and wires, and set the timing (yes, I made sure to set the timing correctly), and still won't start. So I check the coil, and I'm getting power from the coil, but no spark from the distributor!!! any ideas??

97tjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Just confirming, your getting spark from the coil to the cap but not to the plugs???

How are your ground wires??? One on the block below the distributor that goes right back to the batt comes to mind. Unbolt it, clean up, bolt back down and see what happens...

I would also check the status of all of your batt wires.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
roadglide
1987 YJ Wrangler 

it might be the pickup inside the ditributor. it not to expensive, but you need to remove the ditributor to replace
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Absolutexero
1998 XJ Cherokee 

hey guys, bringing this thread back from the dead i know,
i'm having the same issue, just replaced my distributor,
I had a dist cap bolt shear off in the distributor housing so i figured that the reason i wasnt getting spark was because the cap wasnt tight on the distributor, after painstakingly replacing the distributor (which only goes in one way due to the oil pump gear) and replacing cap, rotor, wires, and plugs, still no fire at distributor, but coil still has spark.

are there any other things that may cause this as well, is this common? (BTW, replaced CPS already as well since i thought that was the original problem)
also, what is the pickup you're talking about, would that have been replaced with the distributor?

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
~6" Franken-lift (2" CSS/ Rusty's 180lb 3" front springs, S10 bastard pack w/ 3" Rusty's AAL)
Absolutexero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
98JGCL

im havin the same problem on my 98 grand cherokee loredo replaced the pickk up coil and the crank shaft sensor and still nothin still got spark at the coil though
98JGCL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
Bigboyky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutexero View Post
hey guys, bringing this thread back from the dead i know,
i'm having the same issue, just replaced my distributor,
I had a dist cap bolt shear off in the distributor housing so i figured that the reason i wasnt getting spark was because the cap wasnt tight on the distributor, after painstakingly replacing the distributor (which only goes in one way due to the oil pump gear) and replacing cap, rotor, wires, and plugs, still no fire at distributor, but coil still has spark.

are there any other things that may cause this as well, is this common? (BTW, replaced CPS already as well since i thought that was the original problem)
also, what is the pickup you're talking about, would that have been replaced with the distributor?

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
The pick up can be called the camshaft sensor.... It's not really but does the same thing. It's the wires that go into the distributer. You have to pull the cap off remove the rotor button and the remove the plate that covers it. The sensor is there under everything. The distributer has to be rmoved to get it out though. I think it runs about 30.00. Or you can get a new distributer for around 40 bucks. Then just place it back in correct. Hope this helps.
1995 4.0l, 5spd., 4:88's, ARB's F/R, 4"RC lift, homebrew bumpers & tire carrier, homebrew gas tank skid, lined inside, Cobra cb, smitty winch, 130w & 55w Hella lights

Envy our past, Fear our future Go Cats!

Take a look at our club
www.torcoffroad.com & here on JF
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f163/brand-new-ky-offroad-club-678937/
Bigboyky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 07:09 AM   #7
98JGCL

replaced it with 3 different ones still no spark
98JGCL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
1234oclock
1997 TJ Wrangler 

sorry for bringing it back but was wondering if anyone had solved the problem and figured out what was causing no spark. i have the same problem. i replaced the cap, rotor, switch plate, and crank position sensor and still no spark.
1234oclock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum. You really need to post up to your own new thread to get some help. If your Jeep is a TJyour post belongs on the TJ forum.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
1234oclock
1997 TJ Wrangler 

oh sorry. i followed a link in and didnt see what it was under, thanks
1234oclock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.