Pouring Out Oil - Rear Main Seal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pouring Out Oil - Rear Main Seal?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
kennemore_m
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Pouring Out Oil - Rear Main Seal?

My 2.5 5speed has had what appears to be a small leak in the rear main seal for a few months. No spots in the driveway however, there has certainly been a small leak coming from the area where the bell housing meets the motor. I was driving recently and when I stopped it was pouring oil out of this area. Not like a drip, more like a small stream. On closer inspection, oil is everywhere, even appears to be spraying out of the hole in the bell housing where the crank position sensor is mounted. The main stream seems to be coming from the area where the bell housing and motor meet. I don't have the equipment or facilities to pull the transmission to fix it. The local shop thinks it is the rms but cannot be sure until they pull the transmision. Very expensive fix for labor.

My main question is can the rms go very bad suddenly like this and start pouring oil and if so, is there a cause for this? Everything I have read seems to indicate they just drip and steadily drip more over time.

kennemore_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There isnt too much there for it to be anything else. If its coming from inside the bellhousing then its the seal. I would call several places and price the seal replacement. Its not that difficult a job to do.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

its not the hardest process to replace it, ive done several 2.5 seals. your just gonna drop the trans, take off the clutch kit and replace the seal, then it goes back together, obviously not as easy as that sounded but its not terribly difficult. if i have more time later i'll get you some pics
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
kennemore_m
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help. I could see anything else that it could be but I have never heard of one just going suddenly like this. Has anyone else had this type of experience with a rear main seal suddenly pouring oil?
Unread 05-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
kennemore_m
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Bump, anyone else had anything like this happen? Any ideas on causes or possibly just normal wear at 130k miles?
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
DonCisco91
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My rear main seal on my 2.5 started pouring oil a couple of weeks a go. We replaced it and the very next day started leaking oil again.
Not sure if we damaged while putting it in or what..very frustrating...
oh yeah and my yj has 77,000 miles..
DonCisco91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
kennemore_m
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Update- it was not the rear main seal as I originally thought it was. After pulling the transmission, found that the transmission gearing had knocked a hole in the front plate facing the clutch and was spewing oil out of the hole. Bearings and stuff were all over the place. Picked up a used transmission from a 91 YJ and am in the process of getting it installed.
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ouch, so the oil was from the trans?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
kennemore_m
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, the oil was spewing out of the hole in the front of the tansmission and going all inside the bell housing and apparantly get thrown all over the place by the clutch, flywheel, etc. Was lucky to pick up a transmission out of a 91 for cheap. Would like to have gone with something better but money wise this was the way to go for now. Hopefully the 91 trans will slide in with no problems.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.