Post up your radical suspension and axle upgrades!! I need ideas!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Post up your radical suspension and axle upgrades!! I need ideas!!

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Fonz3482
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Post up your radical suspension and axle upgrades!! I need ideas!!

Hello everyone,
If any of you have seen my previous post you may know that my 93 yj is in need of some major work. I got trans issues, and engine noises, I got clunks, rattles, and worn out suspension bushings. I cleaned up the frame to find some rust holes here and there. I also began work on the body and have some rust hole issues. So Ive thought about doing alot of things, and ive come across a new possibility. A friend has tons of ford axles and parts, so he said he would part with a ford 9" rear end with a trac lock and 3.55 gears, also he said he has a dana 44 and 60 he would part with. Another friend has a jeep frame from a 04 wrangler(tj i think??) that has a bent rf frame rail. The frame is mint, not a spec of rust and still factory black powder coated. He said I could have the frame for free. So I was thinking of taking the frame fixing the rf frame rail, swapping the ford axles under the frame, and gradually pull parts off my yj, clean them up and install them onto the new setup. But Im lost on suspension options, steering setup, and theres probably alot of things im overlooking. Thats were you guys come in. Any ideas, suspension setups, axle swap info, please post it up. Thanks!

Fonz3482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

this sounds like one of those projects that spirals out of control and winds up on blocks in your yard for years. id leave the crap that isnt yj alone. id leave the junkyard axles probably as well. it is getting easier and more economical these days to simply have built what you want. the 9" for example. sounds like a great swap, however, in the end the only real thing you will wind up keeping, in order for it to be a viable "upgrade" will be the housing. the housing is the cheapest part. there are many companies making 9" housings that are reasonable. with any junkyard axle assembly, really access how much of it you intend to retain. if you want it narrower, locker, gear change, etc, etc. then its really not worth it. when i went to order 9" third from currie it was an extra $100 to have the gears setup. ive done my own gears and have the tools but there is no reason not to have it come to you in installable condition for that price. ive got a ford dana 44 front sitting in my garage. was going to build it but after i made a list of what i wanted to replace, there was nothing of the $250.00 junkyard axle left. its like building a comp buggy out of a perfectly good DD jeep. it makes no sense at all. id get the motor and tranny squared away first. id really take a hard look at whether this particular jeep is worth all the time it will take to make it nice. maybe keep it as a hoopty-rust-bucket-beater thats totally fun to goof around in as is, and get yourself a reliable smart car.
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If I had a million dollars.... 2.5" OME's on teraflex revolvers with the front shackles reversed, NV4500, Dana 300, on a set of 1-tons narrowed to the stock jeep width, with 4.88's, 9.5x16.5x33's, and True-Tracs F/R just because that's an almost perfect setup for my area and style.

But I don't have a million dollars, and I have to drive this every day.

If it was me, I would restore your YJ to solid stock condition before I did any mods whatsoever. You need a solid foundation to build on, seriously. Otherwise yer just wasting your own time and money.

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 09-16-2011 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: dreaming
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman
If I had a million dollars.... 2.5" OME's on teraflex revolvers with the front shackles reversed, NV4500, Dana 300, on a set of 1-tons narrowed to the stock jeep width, with 4.88's, 9.5x16.5x33's, and True-Tracs F/R just because that's an almost perfect setup for my area and style.

If you had a million dollars youd run that crappy set-up? I wouldn't even run that if it only cost me $1,000.

One tons on 33" pizza cutters with revolver shackles? Haha

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
If you had a million dollars youd run that crappy set-up? I wouldn't even run that if it only cost me $1,000.

One tons on 33" pizza cutters with revolver shackles? Haha
I sure would. Because one tons on pizza cutters with detroits did just fine on my old full sizes. revolvers hadn't been invented yet back then. This was the standard "snow plow" rig for decades around here.

Notice where both the OP and I are from - there is practically zero rock crawling around here. None, zilch, nada. Plenty of snow, tho. And no, there aren't any ORV parks in NY state that I know of.

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 09-16-2011 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: notice
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Fratis hit the nail on the head. Again.

We all dream of what we could build but like I've said before: a two wheel drive jeep on the road is better than any rockcrawler on jackstands collecting moss.
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Fratis hit the nail on the head. Again.

We all dream of what we could build but like I've said before: a two wheel drive jeep on the road is better than any rockcrawler on jackstands collecting moss.
^^^^ x2. I'd rather have one solid stocker than something half-baked. That's why I always say to get it solid before you pour anything into it cuz you need a good foundation to begin with.

Unread 09-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

i have a crawler on jack stands...sucks.
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

the 9" is a solid rear axle upgrade for a YJ. they are very strong and have tons of aftermarket support (9" rears are the most desireable axle for old mustangs, plenty of locker/posi options and tons of gear ratios available) plus they have a third member housing, and are setup for leaf springs (even though you will have to narrow the axles and reposition the shock/spring mounts) However the ford 9" requires more fabrication and work than a 8.8 swap.

as for a suspension setup, depending on what you do with the rig wil tell you what to go with. are you doing rock crawling? mudding? backwoods trails? most of these things will determine how you set up your suspension. I know alot of guys who go rockcrawling have gone SOA, personally i do not have the need to go that route as I only do backwoods and moderate mud where i am from. The superlift 3.5" heavy duty is the suspension i am looking at right now. you probably want to go with a 4.0L mated to a ax-15. the NP231 is not a bad t-case either, but if you want twin sticks go with a atlas II. definitely throw a SYE in there. what tires are you wanting to run? if you are planning to run 33's go with a 4.10 gearing and you will be fine. as for a front axle, the d30 will hold up just fine, and if you dont trust it then go with a super 30 kit and upgrade your splines from 27 to 30. just remember the d30 on the YJ's is a vacuum disconnect so you can throw a spool in there and not have to worry about on-road performance while in 2wd
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #10
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

SBC, 700r4, hybrid 231, 8.8 rear and HP 30 with chromos in the front. Both with 4.88. Waggy springs SOA with 36s. What more do u honestly need? Easy setup and works amazing!!
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
Fonz3482
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I dont want it to be a forever project, and thats what it feels like now. It seems like everytime I fix soemthing something else goes wrong. My jeep was bought because the po (a friend) said it just need a check over from sitting for a year. The motor ran quite, and I couldn't test the trans due to a LF blown brake line. I did normal repairs, and change the oil, Then the motor was noisey, so I drove it to see if the lifters would pump up, and I found the trans grinds the gears. So Im pretty sure the motor and trans has to come out, and when i do that I almost wonder if I should bolt all the rebuilt stuff into a rust damaged repaired frame, when I can get my hands on a beautiful tj frame for free. I bad feeling that if I just bolt a trans into the truck and change the lifters, something is going to go next. Im the kinda person that if something goes on one of my vehicles I like to use that oppurtunity to upgrade. To me it seems easier to set the tj frame up, set a drive train and axles in it, as Im still driving the jeep and getting every last bit of life out of the current drivetrain. Then when it gernades, I swap parts over to the new frame clean them, repair them, or replace them. Then I pretty much end up with a restored, fully capable jeep. But I also agree with fratis, I gotta really sit down and think this out, because it cant turn into a jeep garage ornament. The wife just picked me up a jps magazine while she was at the grocery store and the front cover says "junkyard axle swaps", perfect timing!!!
Fonz3482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesserdude07 View Post
SBC, 700r4, hybrid 231, 8.8 rear and HP 30 with chromos in the front. Both with 4.88. Waggy springs SOA with 36s. What more do u honestly need? Easy setup and works amazing!!
My dream YJ would be someting along those lines, but instead of waggy sprigns I'd go with 2.5" OME springs and move the spring perches to do a stretch on the front and rear.

Of corse the stretch requires a bit more work as well.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.