Post-modification oops. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Post-modification oops.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
4x4_Medic
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Post-modification oops.

Ok, I had my killswitch thread in here, but since this is now something new, I think it needs a new thread. I tried wiring a killswitch in onto my fuel pump relay. It worked for a moment, then when I tested to make sure the car wouldn't start afterwards, it died and I havn't been able to bring it back to life since. I have removed the switch for now, and spliced the wires on the relay back together.

My engine cranks, the fuel pump is working, because I know I have fuel pressure, and it was working fine just before I put the switch in. Does anyone have the slightest idea of what it could be, so I don't have to drag this thing over to a shop?

4x4_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

did you burn up a ground or something?
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
4x4_Medic
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly, I have no idea. I only know just enough about electrical systems to put the switch in. I have no idea what I should be looking for. One of the reasons I'm asking here. Which grounds might I have damaged, and where would I find them? Things like this are what's really throwing me off. I checked the fuses and they were all good. Checking my fuel lines, I know I'm still getting fuel flow, so the pump is working. I just can't figure out what's keeping this thing from kicking over, now.

Last edited by 4x4_Medic; 09-16-2011 at 04:28 PM..
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

how do you know you are getting fuel?
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
4x4_Medic
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The fuel rod on my engine has a little test port on it. If I touch the port with a screwdriver, I get a little flood of fuel. I try cranking again, and tap the fuel test port again and I get the same little flood of fuel.
Unread 09-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Check for a loose ground. I had something similar happen when I installed my tilt steering wheel. In short, no ground = no fuel injection. And when you find it, hook you switch inline with it. Its a killswitch dream, no fuse and hard to bypass unless you are looking for it.
Unread 09-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
4x4_Medic
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, where would I find these grounds? Because the one thing I touched was the power distribution box under the hood, which I've done before when trying to find the right wire before I did this, and had nothing bad happen, and the white/yellow wire coming to the fuel pump relay, which is now re-connected. Other than those two areas, I have touched nothing.
Unread 09-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked to see if you have spark, you know you have fuel pressure but can you tell if the injectors are firing?
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
4x4_Medic
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No, I can't tell if I have spark. I don't have a spark plug socket.
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

take a plug wire off... stick a screwdriver in the end of it... position the screw driver so that its close to something metal but not touching... then turn the engine over while watching for sparks to jump.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
4x4_Medic
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ohhhhhh.....ok. Just got to wait until someone else is around, then.
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When you push the little valve (schrater valve) in on the fuel rail it should shoot out with a bunch of pressure, not just sorta flow out. The pressure in the system when the pump is functioning properly is about 40PSI. There should be enough pressure in there so that when you push the schrater valve in it will probably spray into your eyes (happened to me the first time I did it without wearing safety glasses) and all over you in the process. If you arent getting a high pressure blast then your pump isnt functioning properly. It could have simply lost its prime, which should build back up with cycling the key a couple of times.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #13
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4_Medic View Post
The fuel rod on my engine has a little test port on it. If I touch the port with a screwdriver, I get a little flood of fuel. I try cranking again, and tap the fuel test port again and I get the same little flood of fuel.
figured but thought id ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
When you push the little valve (schrater valve) in on the fuel rail it should shoot out with a bunch of pressure, not just sorta flow out. The pressure in the system when the pump is functioning properly is about 40PSI. There should be enough pressure in there so that when you push the schrater valve in it will probably spray into your eyes (happened to me the first time I did it without wearing safety glasses) and all over you in the process. If you arent getting a high pressure blast then your pump isnt functioning properly. It could have simply lost its prime, which should build back up with cycling the key a couple of times.
mine never does this. it kinda dribbles out. has always run fine. weird.
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
mine never does this. it kinda dribbles out. has always run fine. weird.
Your Jeep either has TBI or a carburetor (if you have the original engine in it), the pressures in the fuel line are lower than 92+ MPI engines. The carb functions between 3 and 8 PSI while the TBI system works at somewhere around 20 PSI. A dribble is normal for these earlier systems, not for later higher pressure systems.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

no its a 91, mpi.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.