Post-MC2150 swap: to Nutter or not? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Post-MC2150 swap: to Nutter or not?

DynoMax fall Ultra Flo Welded rebate is here!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Shocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 06-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #31
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth0033 View Post
I just completed my motorcraft swap and haven't done the Nutter yet. Interested to see what everyone says about it. I want to do it, but have never done timing stuff so I'm afraid to adjust it and mess something up.
Just finished my Nutter (well, earlier today). Monkeyhouse and the others are totally right, its worth it. I hate to get on the "its awesome" bandwagon before Ive put some road miles on it, but having driven it around the block a few times after, I have to say I notice a difference.

I also talked to the ebay guy about how I hooked up my carb and found out I had some stuff off. Got that corrected and done the bypass...seems to be running better than ever now.

As far as timing, its pretty straight forward. Get a timing light and a distributor socket/wrench if you dont have them already to make your life easier. This was the how to I followed: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/. The hardest part for me was actually cutting the wires to get the whole thing started... to much anxiety over that haha. Once I bit the bullet, it all was pretty straight forward.

It turned out for me that it ran better by advancing the timing just a little than the recommended 8*TDC, but it also says +/-...I fell into the + category

Thanks everyone for their input and help. If I remember, Ill post up again in a week or so to give everyone an update on how she's running

jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #32
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I still question my setup. You got any diagrams or pictures of your setup? It would really help me out some. Looks like I will have to do the nutter and team rush when I get home.
jth0033 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #33
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth0033 View Post
I still question my setup. You got any diagrams or pictures of your setup? It would really help me out some. Looks like I will have to do the nutter and team rush when I get home.
Of the mc2150 or what exactly?

The Nutter was done by step by step from the link I posted earlier. The Team Rush upgrade was done by the write up that JeepHammer had done. Pretty much all my upgrading was done via JeepForum threads. For that, I plan to join as a supporter ASAP

If you need photos of the MC setup, shoot me your email and Ill email them to you, with as much detail as I can. I also plan to post up a write up on what the final MC2150 should look like, once Im certain that its how its supposed to be. The ebay guy has been indispensable with my questions! Some say that he charges to much for his carbs, but it was money well spent in just having some one I could email/call to get my YJ running like new again. I thought it ran great when I got it, but that was nothing compared to now.
Unread 06-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #34
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphrey View Post
Just finished my Nutter (well, earlier today). Monkeyhouse and the others are totally right, its worth it. I hate to get on the "its awesome" bandwagon before Ive been some road miles on it, but having driven it around the block a few times after, I have to say I notice a difference.

I also talked to the ebay guy about how I hooked up my carb and found out I had some stuff off. Got that corrected and done the bypass...seems to be running better than ever now.

As far as timing, its pretty straight forward. Get a timing light and a distributor socket/wrench if you dont have them already to make your life easier. This was the how to I followed: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/. The hardest part for me was actually cutting the wires to get the whole thing started... to much anxiety over that haha. Once I bit the bullet, it all was pretty straight forward.

It turned out for me that it ran better by advancing the timing just a little than the recommended 8*TDC, but it also says +/-...I fell into the + category

Thanks everyone for their input and help. If I remember, Ill post up again in a week or so to give everyone an update on how she's running
Glad it was all good, really glad for your experience, sounds like it helped you alot with confidence as well. And yeah, I ended up setting my timing at 10, but it does vary.
Unread 06-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #35
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
Glad it was all good, really glad for your experience, sounds like it helped you alot with confidence as well. And yeah, I ended up setting my timing at 10, but it does vary.
Yeah. The hardest part was actually getting the nerve to cut the wires. After that, I said to myself "well, gotta fix it now." and off I went. The problem with me (most of the time) is I spend to much time analyzing something instead of just doing it. Its a plus and minus

I have not been the most mechanically inclined guy I know, but the jeep is slowly changing all that. Each weekend I learn something new and my tool collection gets a little bigger . A good example is that I changed my clutch master cylinder and done the nutter this weekend. Both were a first for me. The weekend before that, I did the carb swap. Before that, team rush. It just keeps going

Hopefully, with all this engine stuff out of the way, I can start on my next project: new gauges. Thanks again for just telling me to get out there and do it
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #36
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphrey View Post
Yeah. The hardest part was actually getting the nerve to cut the wires. After that, I said to myself "well, gotta fix it now." and off I went. The problem with me (most of the time) is I spend to much time analyzing something instead of just doing it. Its a plus and minus

I have not been the most mechanically inclined guy I know, but the jeep is slowly changing all that. Each weekend I learn something new and my tool collection gets a little bigger . A good example is that I changed my clutch master cylinder and done the nutter this weekend. Both were a first for me. The weekend before that, I did the carb swap. Before that, team rush. It just keeps going

Hopefully, with all this engine stuff out of the way, I can start on my next project: new gauges. Thanks again for just telling me to get out there and do it
most people were where you were at some point. Now, have fun with it, get a camera and take pictures along the way. With your nervousness, you will help every person who is in the same boat!

I doubt you need new gauges though. Search. and if you don't see something to help you PM me.
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #37
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
most people were where you were at some point. Now, have fun with it, get a camera and take pictures along the way. With your nervousness, you will help every person who is in the same boat!

I doubt you need new gauges though. Search. and if you don't see something to help you PM me.
Yeah, I was going to take some photos as I was doing it, but since it was just me and my hands were caked with grease, I wanted to leave my iphone alone

I have the stock gauges (well, the cluster). None of them are working, sans the gas gauge (which sort of works). The PO installed a little SunPro cluster that is mechanical in nature. It works, but the dials are small and they didnt bother to light up the gauges, so at night, Im flying blind as it were.

I got a great item for it from another JF member. I plan to put individual gauges where the cluster is, to keep it fairly stock looking and functional.
Unread 06-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #38
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yea the setup of the carb is what I'm questioning. I'll pm you my email now, any help you can give will be great. Seems that I'm having trouble now with my 4wd so I wonder if I messed a line up there. Thanks
jth0033 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
carburetor , mc2100 , motorcraft

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.