Post-lift vibrations, bad driveshaft angles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Post-lift vibrations, bad driveshaft angles?

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 06-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
econstantin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Post-lift vibrations, bad driveshaft angles?

Hi, I just recently put on a OME lift (4x 36R)... it appears that I got somewhere almost 4" of lift out of it (sounds big, but bottom of rocker panels now sit at 22.5" on BFG TA/KO 31s, see the pic here).

When it was installed, we only anticipated 2-3" and so didn't do a TC drop right away. I also had smaller tires on it (Wrangler Radials P235/75R15), which may have made the lift seem a bit smaller. We test drove it and there was minimal vibration (only when coming off the throttle and engine-braking), and we expected the lift would a settle bit.

Over the past two days, the vibrations have gotten significantly worse. The gear shifter vibrates a lot when accelerating from a standstill, up to somewhere between 5-10mph, after which it settles down. While cruising or at highway speeds, I can still feel a bit more vibration that pre-lift, but overall it's acceptable.

I've been researching a bit more on driveline angles (I'm a newbie to this), and took some pictures this morning (see attached).

The current angles seem to be 'exactly wrong'? (TC output & rear-pinion are at different angles, whereas they should be as close to parallel as possible?)

The rear axle leafpack came with a small shim on it, and the u-bolt kit came with 2deg shims which we added as well (so probably around 3-4deg total). This seems to have the effect of tilting the pinion upwards, and creates a different angle?

In looking at various articles/posts, the current driveshaft angles seem like they'd be appropriate for a CV (double cardan) driveshaft, but not a stock U-joint driveshaft?

I'm also wondering if the angle of the TC case / slip-yolk seems normal, or if it's evidently under strain?

I appreciate any help & insights on this. Thanks

photo-1s.jpg   photo-2s.jpg   photo-3s.jpg   photo-4s.jpg  
econstantin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

it appears you either need to lower the end of your TC or lower the yoke of your pinion to get rid of the vibes, but you'd be close to binding.

Pick up a $10 angle finder and spin the shaft another 90* so the u-joint straps on your pinion are on the bottom and top (not the sides like the picture). It makes it easier to see your angle and that's how you're going to measure it.

You want the angles as close to paralell as you can, with the pinion maybe 1-2* lower. That would be ideal. However, with the lift you really need an SYE, and may have to live with some vibes to avoid binding/snaping a ujoint when flexing/compressing/articulating.

Last edited by mrdeath2000; 06-14-2012 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: lower TC not raise.
mrdeath2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
econstantin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Worth trying a TC drop to see if that improves things?
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

im looking that the transfer case needs to go lower so that the angle is less steep.. I may be mistaken though.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yea, i meant TC down LOL, not up.

TC drop is certainly worth trying. after you do it, cycle the shaft by hand if it looks close to binding, just to be safe.
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
econstantin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Some more pics as requested.

Going to try TC drop now..
image-3014229142.jpg   image-628816293.jpg   image-764002608.jpg  
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, try the drop. It may not be perfect, but it will help for sure.
Doesn't look like you will have a binding issue, looks pretty clear.
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

some basic info on drive shaft/joint angles here...http://benmlee.com/4Runner/driveline/U-JOINT.htm

it's about Toyota's but a lot of it is applicable here as well...here's a snipet

3 Ways to Correct Driveline Angles

There are three pratical ways to solve dirveline vibrations. They are: u-joint with opposite angle in the top picture (most common), u-joint with same angle, middle picture, which is less common and cv-joint on the bottom picture which is quite common too.
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The transfer case drop will fix the issue for sure. Also swapping out the double shims for a single shim in the rear will decrease axle wrap.
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
econstantin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

TC drop fixed the vibes. Gears feel a bit funky now though (apparently normal).

Thanks for all your replies & help!
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by econstantin View Post
TC drop fixed the vibes. Gears feel a bit funky now though (apparently normal).

Thanks for all your replies & help!
The funky feeling is normal. Like I told you about lifting a jeep, nothing will be the same once you do it. And the jeep bug bites hard after that.
Unread 06-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #12
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was the same way, my springs(same as you 36r on all 4 corners) settled in about a month ( with no shocks) once the springs settle your springs will give you 3.5 inches of lift. Also tc drop isn't hard I did it in my garage with a jack. Happy installation
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.