Post 8.8 install thoughts/tips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Post 8.8 install thoughts/tips

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
kkchevy3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Post 8.8 install thoughts/tips

Well finished up my 8.8 swap 2 days ago. Ran into a few things i didn't see online and thought i would share. First of all let me say im really happy with how things turned out. Thing looks stock under the jeep and NO VIBES up to 100. Okay so here we go.

1- I have 1" wheel spacers. The lugs on the explorer are longer than stock and actually stick out of the spacers. Now my stock Rubicon rims have a cut out in the rear for them but its not enough. I ended up going down the block and realizing i had 2 loose tires. I got the cutoff wheel out and shortened the studs. Their is a un threaded portion on the end of the stud and i found that was all i needed to cut off to get the clearance i needed. You may not run into this problem with your rims but just keep it in mind.

2- Loss of lift due to larger axle tubes. NOT TRUE(in my case at least) Overall i gained 1/2 an inch of lift. Heres why. I was running RC springs. With those you have the shim for the pinion angle. Between getting rid of that and grinding the spring perches from ruff stuff down so they sat just an 1/8" above the axle tubes the rear of the truck actually sits higher now. I also trimmed the length of them so the didn't flatten out the spring (shown by the red lines) I found both of my centering pins to be bent and too small for the ruff stuff holes so i just took a 7/16 bolt iirc and made the head round to fit perfectly in the perch holes.

3- The ebrake sucks. Im guessing its due to the small shoes. But w.e heres a pic of what i did to use the stock jeep ebrake lines. My axle came with just the end of the explorer lines so i used them and a cable clamp and clamped them together. I also used the explorer return spring and just cut it to the length i figured would keep enough pressure on the drums to return them to the relaxed position.

4- I used the explorer brake lines. Thats it. I moved the line coming off the frame a little so it points straight down. Didn't have a pic so this is as good as i can do right now from google. Red is the hard line. Yellow is the rubber.

5- Shock mounts. The ones that come in the ruff stuff kit would have compressed the shocks too much for the position i would have had to mount them. For the ruffstuff ones i had to keep the mounts higher on the axle or the shock tube would contact the 8.8s larger axle. So i just cut off the stock ones from the 35 and reused them. They do the job just fine for me, even if they hang a bit lower.
6- I cut off the tabs that were cast into the housing to protect the abs sensor on the top of the pumpkin. I wasn't sure if they would get in the way of anything under the jeep so i just cut em off. Also when installing the flange adapter the threads for the pinion side flange were all rusted up from sitting in the junkyard i guess. They were a pain to get in and i know im not gona be a happy camper when i have to get them out. Check out your threads before your install so you have time to find a tap to clean them out.
Just a couple thing i wanted to throw out there. If anyone else has anything to add that has completed their swap and driven it please do.

kkchevy3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have also noticed the spring perches from Ruff Stuff are much longer than they need to be. I've been told they are designed for SOA application but I don't know the validity of the statement considering they don't note SOA/SUA in the description.

Sucks you had to re use the D35 shock mounts. I crushed mine in one wheeling trip.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
DaveinHouston
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I love mine. It took a couple of days over the weekend to make the swap but it's great. If you make the change out yourself you need to have pretty good mechanic and welding skills. I fabricated most of the stuff for mine so didn't buy a kit. It was even better after putting the 4.88 gears in.

- NRA Life Member - Licensed to Carry and Do.
DaveinHouston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

nice job. FWIW my parking brake works really well and that's only with one side connected.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
kkchevy3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I do think these stock from ruffstuff would make great perches for a SOA, considering your going to be using prty flat springs for that. They must help with axle wrap. But for SUA theres just too long. Nothing the sawsall cant fix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
I have also noticed the spring perches from Ruff Stuff are much longer than they need to be. I've been told they are designed for SOA application but I don't know the validity of the statement considering they don't note SOA/SUA in the description.

Sucks you had to re use the D35 shock mounts. I crushed mine in one wheeling trip.
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

When I set my e-brake I can't move forward or backward at all even in four low. That thing grips well. I used the fancy MORE e-brake cable tho'.
The MORE perches were too long also. I cut mine down too. The shock mounts seem fine tho'.
I'm a lot more confident with the 8.8 on the trail and I'm sure you will be too.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post

The Ruff Stuff perches pictured are for SOA applications. They have SUA perches on their site that are specifically listed as SUA perches.... http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=310

Can you post another pic of this from further out.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkchevy3 View Post
I'm just trying to get a better perspective of how those relocators are sitting. I don't think mine sit as high.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
kkchevy3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

that pic isnt mine. i got that off google just to show how i routed the brake line
Unread 03-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

I did pretty much just as you did, except the E-brake line, my E-brake works great, I found that the exploder cable was the same diameter as the jeeps, just longer, so to use the exploders cable and get the proper end for the brake actuator arm, I cut the ends off at the spreader bar on all 4 cables, pulled out the cables from all 4, then used the exploders cables inside the jeeps tubes. a washer at the disks helped with the spring retaining, but not mandatory, and a double cable clamp at the speader bar. done, and easier than clamping at the disk
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkchevy3 View Post
that pic isnt mine. i got that off google just to show how i routed the brake line
Ah, OK thanks anyway.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.