Possibly a Faulty o2 or MAP sensor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Possibly a Faulty o2 or MAP sensor?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 11-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Robhimselfff
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Possibly a Faulty o2 or MAP sensor?

I have a 93 YJ with a 4.0 litre. It has the correct multi-point and pcm engine. For as long as I've owned the Jeep (3 years) it always seemed to have a rough idle. Along with the rough idle it gets terrible gas mileage (even bad for a 4.0 on 33's) and the exhaust is extremely rich. I haven't been able to check any codes because of the OBDI and there is no check engine light. However i believe I have narrowed it down to three possibilities. Either a crack in my exhaust manifold, a bad o2 sensor, a bad MAP sensor, or a combination of the three. I have deleted my CAT but I don't believe my mixture should be this drastically rich, however i could be wrong. I have yet to do any tests and only first started really trying to diagnose my problem recently. I'm just looking for any general insight on if any of my ideas are correct. Thanks.

Robhimselfff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Replace the bulb for the check engine light and check your codes. I highly doubt its a bad map. The map input is used for advancing the timing. You would have no power if it was bad. Crack in the manifold/missing loose bolts is easy enough to check. Might be a good time to clean the throttlebody and IAC for a rough idle.

Check your fuel pressure. We have had so many people on the forum this year with fuel pressure issues! 31 psi idle, 39 psi with the vacuum to the regulator off, maintain pressure above 20 psi for longer then 20 minutes.

O2 sensor should be replaced every 60-100k as normal maintanance.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Que is correct. One other thing I would make note of the coolant temperature when its running rough. The PCM will not read the O2 sensor until the engine is at 185 deg or above. The temp sensor is in the thermostat housing/upper water neck. The sensor changes resistance (ohms) with temperature so anything that changes resistance (such as a poor cnnection or a short) can affect this reading.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.