possible tail light mod? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > possible tail light mod?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
NHYJ4213
1988 YJ Wrangler 

possible tail light mod?

So the rather large rectangle tail lights make gas can fill ups a pain but I noticed JKs have a thinner version... would it be possible to wire them up instead of the stock yj ones? I know there's the filler relocation mod and the round led mod but think this would be cheaper and probably a lot easier. .. besides I'm not a huge fan of round lights

NHYJ4213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The JK body contour is much different than the YJ.

IIRC- the trick to using a gas can with a YJ was to thread the neck so that it stuck out of the body of the can sideways...
irnmadn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Flush mount the stock lights. JeeperDon did it. He's a bit of a Scrooge but an endless source of information.
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
NHYJ4213
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I was hoping it'd work lol. Ill end up doing filler relocation at some point anyways
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
NHYJ4213
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Flush mount the stock lights. JeeperDon did it. He's a bit of a Scrooge but an endless source of information.
By cutting into tub and sinking them in?
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHYJ4213 View Post
By cutting into tub and sinking them in?
Yeah. It costs work.
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
NHYJ4213
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds expensive!
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
Day215
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mine are flush, it's still a pita to fill up, it's a jeep thing?!
Day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 03:12 AM   #9
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'll agree with that one, he does know what he's talking about though.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 03:47 AM   #10
debord97
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Day215 did you do a right up on flush mounting those tail lights? I have been wanting to do this for awhile instead of changing to round LEDs.
debord97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #11
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
jsawduste is a bit of a Scrooge but a source of information.
Fixed it for you Nick !
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Fixed it for you Nick !
Tooting your own horn, John?
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
Day215
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by debord97 View Post
Day215 did you do a right up on flush mounting those tail lights? I have been wanting to do this for awhile instead of changing to round LEDs.
EDIT******this guy was way more motivated than I was, he took pics along the way. I did make sure to cut my template with a lot more precision. I wanted to see exactly where the light was going to sit when done, not just the portion I needed to cut out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...-pics-1014417/

I didn't post a write up, but here's a quick overview.

#1: remove tailights
#2: make a template from cardboard, I placed the light lens down and cut out the outer shape on cardboard, I then carefully cut out the inner portion of the template to match the contour of the backside of the light. The backside of the housing is tapered, I just kept trimming until the template would snugly slide over the backside of the housing. You basically end up with a cardboard "ring" that looks like the shape of the light.
#3:mask off the area you think the light will occupy, I slid the backside of the housing just a hair under the rear wheel well.
#4: square up your template and trace the inner portion. Cut the inner portion out, I used a jigsaw but a dremel would work a bit better.
#5: stick the light in the hole and check the fit, trim as needed. Once your happy, mark the four holes that hold the lens to the housing, these holes will be the fastening points for the light to the body. A sheet metal screw will go thru the lens then housing then body.
#6: run a small piece of wire from a ground point on the chassis to the screw inside the lens on the chrome reflector part of the lens. The old way of mounting the light provided a ground for the housing, when you remove the metal that it mounted to, you need to find an alternate way to ground the housing to the chassis.
#7: I ran some clear silicone around the housing lip before i placed the light into its new hole and screwed it in. Smooth the silicone out with your fingertip to seal the housing to the body. Plug it in and test her out

My explanation makes no sense to me, your basically just cutting a hole and sinking the light into the larger hole, don't over think it! You will loose your side marker, these are required by law in most if not all states, don't call me if you get a ticket. You will also need to address the deletion of your plate light, I bought some by lights and installed them just above the plate, I painted the old clear part of the lens that acted as the plate light so it would not bleed light into the wheel well.
Day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
debord97
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply Day215. Yea I will figure something out as far as the side markers go and the license plate light won't be a problem. Only thing I am worried about here is room for the counter sunk light housing. I have done the fuel filler relocation and there might not be enough room for both. Something I will have to check into.
debord97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
Peety
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I used square surface mount truck LED's from my local trucker store. For side markers I used 1" round red LED's. License plate was a tripple white LED, I cut a slot in the housing and flush mounted it. The plate clears it by about 1/4".

The whole project cost about $130.00
new-new.jpg  
Peety is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.