Possible to adapt the Chevy VSS to run Jeep speedo? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Possible to adapt the Chevy VSS to run Jeep speedo?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
AaronJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Possible to adapt the Chevy VSS to run Jeep speedo?

I'm in the planning stages of a tbi350/4l60e swap. At the moment I am trying to decide how I want to handle the transfer case.

As I see it, there are several options:

1. Run the np241 that I have with this combo (1993 Z71 truck). I can get the super short sye and keep the overall length down to a reasonable level. The only problem so far is that I am unable to find information on getting the Jeep speedo to work off of the Chevy VSS since they do not use compatible signals. For me to go this route, I'd have to be able to buy an adapter to make the factory speedo work. I'd rather not have to spend money on all new gauges.

2. Use the front case half from an NP231/233c and adapt my np231j to the 4l60e. This would retain my Jeep vss and allow my speedo to work. To keep the chevy pcm happy, I'd have to add a reluctor ring and sensor to the tail of the 4l60e. Cost for this is $60 for a 233c from the local "pull it yourself" boneyard and ~$100 for the vss/reluctor ring kit. I'll probably still need an sye kit due to the length of the engine/tranny/tc combo. This is currently my likely choice unless someone has a better idea.

3. Buy the adapter kit from Novak/Advance to make my 231j fit the 4l60e. This is kind of like option 2 except it's more expensive. $500+ for the kit. And again, I will likely need a sye anyway due to length.

So does anyone know of a way to make the Jeep speedo work with the chevy vss? Anyone see a better idea than what I mentioned above?

AaronJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
AaronJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Bumping this for the evening crowd.
Unread 07-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Vortec 350/ 4l60e/ 231chd in mine! I found the trans to transfercase adaptor on ebay for $45. I added the Advance Adaptor 40 pulse reluctor ring to the tall shaft of the tranny. To make the speedo work, I got ahold of Dakota Digital! They sell a little device that changes the signal. I think it was around $80. The slick part of it is you can always adjust it for gear or tire size. I calibrated it with my gps and its right on the money from zero to as fast as I want to go. With the VSS signal comeing from the tranny and not the t-case, it might shift funny in low range. The guy that made my wireharness left me a wire that I had to put on a switch for when I am in low range. Im also using My stock tach! I had to do some surgery on it (changed a resister inside it) but its pretty close now. Hope this helps.
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
AaronJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have something like this?: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod&prd126.htm

Also, did you ever do a build thread on your swap? Can you go into detail about getting your tach to work?

As much info as you care to provide would be great. I think I've read every swap thread on this site (and several on other sites) and there are still some "knowledge gaps".

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.