Is it possible - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is it possible

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 03-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Plowhoss

Is it possible

I went to advance auto and got a starter because the old one was shot.I put the new one in and it made a grinding sound,but sometimes would start.Then it got to where it would start just grinding noise.I took it back the same day the guy looks at it and says the starter drive was no good.So he gives me another I take it and put it one same noise starts but makes a fast squealing kinda noise,and it would make a grinding noise and not start sometimes.I have just replaced the flywheel with a new one about two months ago,and before the old starter went out it was not making this noise.I even took the starter off and rotated the flywheel to check the teeth and it is good.So my question it do you think it is possible to get TWO bad starters?

Plowhoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
joshbaker92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yea definitely from advanced. They get stuff wrong for me all the time.
joshbaker92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Mike
oooh you almost had it

ask them to put your starter on the bench and test it before you purchase it, most all of the advance auto stores here will
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
KRenegade
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i agree i went through 2 clutch master cylinders before i got one that held pressure.
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Are you using a shim with the starter?
Unread 03-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep View Post
A VITAL point^^^^. I have had the best results with starters from AutoZone. I have heard many stories about starters that were bad out of the box.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

pix of shimes please?How many do you have and what do they look like... also how much to install your flywheel everyone around here wants $200-$350 for install

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
Plowhoss

What are shims?What will that do?
Unread 03-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am curious if someone swapped out your engine/ bell housing at one point possibly and maybe it is a different year. But lack of shims or improper shims will be the most likely culprit.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've also seen two different style starters in the 4.2's. The one in mine looks like the starter in the 4.0 and a friend of mine had one that had a larger starter in it. He also had similar issues and tried 2 different starters. He didn't know what year anything was for sure either. The guy he bought it from swaqpped the trans and who knows what. Your old starter was definitely bad? Did the starter they gave you look the same? Are your battery cables in top shape?
Unread 03-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
Plowhoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep View Post
NO

So you think my bendix gear is kicking out past my flywheel and I need to put a shim between my tranny and starter to prevent my bendix gear from kicking past my flywheel?

Or could it be the other way around?Say maybe my starter gear is not kicking out far enough to match up with the teeth on my flywheel.That would mean the mount on the starter that fits flush with my tranny would need to be milled down alittle bit?

Either way the bendix gear is not matching correctly with my flywheel cause I have got it to crank,but it makes a strange sounds and sometimes grinds.The flywheel in new and I hate to mess it up with the start not lining up right.
Unread 03-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
Dado99TJ

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've had to "slot" one of the bolt holes on jeep starters before. The problem was that the teeth on the starter drive weren't fully engaging the teeth on the flywheel, causing it to grind when trying to start. Slotting one of the holes slightly gets the teeth closer together.

Nightcrew member #331

Blue Jeep Club member #332
Dado99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's most likely shim related. A "Shim" is a thin piece of metal that goes between the starter and the bellhousing where the starter is mounted.

When I replaced my starter a few months ago my stock shim was stuck to the old starter from years of gunk building up on it, I barely realized what it was before giving Advance the other starter as a core. Luckily I yanked it off and installed it with my new starter, no issues since October and it starts strong every time.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #14
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the majority of parts from advanced and auto zone are all reman and are reman'd outside of the US (from what ive come to understand). do you wonder why it seems like they insist on you getting the lifetime parts warranty...if it messes up well give you another. some poor other soul gets the one you get but it is yet rman'd again.

NAPA is your friend...and so is RTV
CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #15
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Can anyone get pics of the shim por favor? cause I have the same problem but I have a shim between my starter and trans. and it still makes a loud noise mabe It needs 2?

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.