Positive battery cable - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Positive battery cable

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-21-2004, 09:25 PM   #1
Kev
Master of the Obvious

Positive battery cable

92 YJ 4.0L - Positive battery cable has a "bubble" of corrosion right behind the terminal connector and the connector is spliting. Alright, the cable has a standard heavy lead to the starter and then another heavy lead to the relay box. Checked all the autoparts and everyone told me that no replacement cable is available - dealer part only.

Doing some Internet research I found the following at Chrysler Parts Direct:

POSITIVE CABLE, Jeep, YJ Series 1992 list: $78.35 our price: $62.68

So apparently the 1992 Wrangler has some special (and freaking expensive) positive battery cable. Has anyone here ran across this problem and/or know a cheaper alternative to the stealership?

Thanks for any input!!

Kev

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
Dembones
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Go to Autozone or something and buy a length of wire the same guage as what you have, you can reuse the old terminals just by bolting it together. Also maybe check junkyards, I bet they'd give it to you free or very cheap.
37" Claws/teralow/HPD44/Trussed HI9/5:38s/detroits/SOA, shackle reversal on rebuilt waggy and XJ springs.
Blue Jeep Club member 2
Much more info here
Dembones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2004, 08:52 AM   #3
skylinerider

There is nothing special about the cables. Wal-Mart has replacement cables for cheap. OR just go to some place like auto-zone and tell them you need cables, don't specify what for, just length.

SKYLINERIDER.NET

If you can't taste the sarcasm try licking the screen.
skylinerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
yoshisushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev
92 YJ 4.0L Alright, the cable has a standard heavy lead to the starter and then another heavy lead to the relay box. Checked all the auto parts and everyone told me that no replacement cable is available - dealer part only.

POSITIVE CABLE, Jeep, YJ Series 1992 list: $78.35 our price: $62.68

Kev
I donít know if I have the exact same cable on my 89 as you do on your 92 but I'm in the same position.

The battery cable has one 4 gauge (estimate) wire running to the starter and then another 6 gauge (again just an estimate) running to some relay.

You are right, no one sells this combo. The only solution is to make our own but that's hard without the right tools.

Could just go with one of those universal ends (I donít like them) and then buy lengths of wire, but that doesn't solve crimping "eye lugs" on the other ends.

Universal terminal

I dont have anything yet but will keep you posted if I come up with somthing good.
yoshisushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
markcap
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Kev--This was the 1st repair I made to my recently purchased '94. Foruntely I had a new battery with both top and side terminals. I simply bought the W-Mart generic cable to repair the faulty cable to the starter and added a 2nd cable using the side terminal with a copper crimp lug and soldered the other end to the relay cable. It's worked out well so far and yes the dealer wants around $72 for the entire harness.

Cap
'94 YJ 83K
markcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 09:21 PM   #6
Kev
Master of the Obvious

Thanks for the replies . Yes, I have considered a universal terminal, but after I cut off the bad part of the cable it doesn't appear to be long enough. I am probably going to see what some custom cables are going to run http://www.custombatterycables.com and then make a decision.

Thanks and feel free to add more ideas/experiences!

Kev

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.