positive battery cable - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > positive battery cable

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

positive battery cable

I need to replace my positive battery cable on my 94 yj. Is there somewhere I can get one besides the dealer? I can only find the negitive at the part stores, nobody can get the positive. The dealer wants $105.00!!!!! Ouch!!

ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
brk913
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was able to obtain one from ACME Auto in CT for about $20 (unfortunatley I believe they are only in CT)...none of the "chain stores" like Advance Auto or Pep Boys could get one...I am sure if you go to the better parts stores like NAPA they can get it for you...the problem is the positive cable has 2 heavy gauge wires coming off it, one for the starter and one to the fuse block next to the battery...
brk913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can also go to a truck dealer or repair shop (Kenworth, Mack etc.) they will be able to custom make one for you, with the pigtail as well. You can also buy battery positive terminals that are solder on. You will need a propane torch with a pencil flame tip, one positive solder type battery clamp, the correct length of battery cable, a length of 8ga wire for the fuse box connection and the necessary copper ends to attach the positive ends to the starter, and fuse box. Get a couple of appropriate sized shrink tubing, some rosin core solder and some electrical tape.
If you are going to make your own I have found the easiest way is to melt the solder into the battery cable clamp and then insert the battery and fuse box wires into the clamp(after you have bared the appropriate amount of wire of course ). Keep the torch on the clamp as you slowly insert the two wires. The solder will flow into the wires as you push it in. Same for the other ends. Oh yeah, make sure you put the shrink tubing on the cable before you solder the last connections on; often they won't go on after.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know what's wrong with me, the bolt on the terminal end has just been eaten through by corosion. Must be Monday brain fog. I just need to replace the bolt, not the entire cable...Brilliant! Thanks for the help though.
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.