positive battery cable - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-13-2006, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Grand Poobah
1994 YJ Wrangler 
positive battery cable

I need to replace my positive battery cable on my 94 yj. Is there somewhere I can get one besides the dealer? I can only find the negitive at the part stores, nobody can get the positive. The dealer wants $105.00!!!!! Ouch!!

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 11-13-2006, 01:13 PM
1991 YJ Wrangler 
I was able to obtain one from ACME Auto in CT for about $20 (unfortunatley I believe they are only in CT)...none of the "chain stores" like Advance Auto or Pep Boys could get one...I am sure if you go to the better parts stores like NAPA they can get it for you...the problem is the positive cable has 2 heavy gauge wires coming off it, one for the starter and one to the fuse block next to the battery...
post #3 of 4 Old 11-13-2006, 01:29 PM
2004 TJ Wrangler 
You can also go to a truck dealer or repair shop (Kenworth, Mack etc.) they will be able to custom make one for you, with the pigtail as well. You can also buy battery positive terminals that are solder on. You will need a propane torch with a pencil flame tip, one positive solder type battery clamp, the correct length of battery cable, a length of 8ga wire for the fuse box connection and the necessary copper ends to attach the positive ends to the starter, and fuse box. Get a couple of appropriate sized shrink tubing, some rosin core solder and some electrical tape.
If you are going to make your own I have found the easiest way is to melt the solder into the battery cable clamp and then insert the battery and fuse box wires into the clamp(after you have bared the appropriate amount of wire of course ). Keep the torch on the clamp as you slowly insert the two wires. The solder will flow into the wires as you push it in. Same for the other ends. Oh yeah, make sure you put the shrink tubing on the cable before you solder the last connections on; often they won't go on after.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-13-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Grand Poobah
1994 YJ Wrangler 
I don't know what's wrong with me, the bolt on the terminal end has just been eaten through by corosion. Must be Monday brain fog. I just need to replace the bolt, not the entire cable...Brilliant! Thanks for the help though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.