Posi-lok engagement problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Posi-lok engagement problems

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Posi-lok engagement problems

So I got the retail posi-lok last christmas and this is the first time I got to really test it out. My problem is that it only engages at the very end of the cable pull. When I drive around, it likes to slip out, you can hear it click out and when you pull it, you can her it rubbing against the splines as it tries to engage. I usually have to pull the cable while I'm driving to make sure it sticks in 4wd.

I went under the jeep and adjusted the cable going into the collar housing. Now the cable is barely in the housing, like if I unscrew it one more turn it comes undone from the housing. Screwing the cable into the housing is going the wrong way and it will never engage.

I'm not sure what to do. As far as I know, this is the only way to adjust the cable. If anyone had a similar issue or knows what to do, please let me know. Thanks in advancement.

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I feel your pain bruthah! <insert cool bromance pic here>

I've done the posi lock thing, both home brew and retail. All have let me down at the worst possible time.

My remedy (getting to it) is a balanced driveshaft and a TJ shaft in the front right.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure theres no slack in the cable so that the complete cable housing is secured to the Jeep.
Is the shift fork on the slide shaft located inbetween the 2 correct E clips? If its over too far that could cause your problem

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond88yj View Post
I feel your pain bruthah! <insert cool bromance pic here>

I've done the posi lock thing, both home brew and retail. All have let me down at the worst possible time.

My remedy (getting to it) is a balanced driveshaft and a TJ shaft in the front right.
One of these days. For now on a college budget and working with what I've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesx2 View Post
Make sure theres no slack in the cable so that the complete cable housing is secured to the Jeep.
Is the shift fork on the slide shaft located inbetween the 2 correct E clips? If its over too far that could cause your problem
That fork should be in there correctly, I checked so many times over the past year. I'm not sure what you mean about the cable slack. The cable is screwed into the housing securely, its been screwed into the housing further but then the cable pull will never reach the engage position.

Get Lost
Unread 12-22-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds to me like the shifter cable isn't adjusted properly or the fork is in backwards & if it's just barely catching before disengaging, I'd want to make sure the internal assembly was correct before looking elsewhere. If you have your installation instructions, you can look at the last page at figure 14 to see how everything fits together. If you don't have the instructions, you could easily have downloaded these by going to the 4x4 Posi-lok site. The cable adjustment shown in figure 14, arrow A, can be used to adjust the exact positioning of the shift fork.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
It sounds to me like the shifter cable isn't adjusted properly or the fork is in backwards & if it's just barely catching before disengaging, I'd want to make sure the internal assembly was correct before looking elsewhere. If you have your installation instructions, you can look at the last page at figure 14 to see how everything fits together. If you don't have the instructions, you could easily have downloaded these by going to the 4x4 Posi-lok site. The cable adjustment shown in figure 14, arrow A, can be used to adjust the exact positioning of the shift fork.
14A is what I've been adjusting. I'm like 99% sure that the fork is in there properly. I guess I'll open it up one more time, but I'll probably do that later in the day. Thanks for the help so far.

Get Lost
Unread 12-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am starting to be glad that I did not invest in a posi-lock. You could just slide the fork over and fix it there. I pulled the bolt in the cover plate on the axle then slid the fork over and put a longer bolt in to hold it. Mine has been like this for thousands of miles and lots of serious wheeling. 4WD always works and didn't cost anything.
Unread 12-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep View Post
I am starting to be glad that I did not invest in a posi-lock. You could just slide the fork over and fix it there. I pulled the bolt in the cover plate on the axle then slid the fork over and put a longer bolt in to hold it. Mine has been like this for thousands of miles and lots of serious wheeling. 4WD always works and didn't cost anything.
I tried something simillar in the past, but the fork kept on wanting to spring back to the disengaged position. I couldn't figure out how to hold it in place. No one ever mentioned that bolt idea, the only thing I got was it would hold it self in place

Get Lost
Unread 12-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep View Post
I put an Aussie in my D30. I'm stuck using the disco (vacuum actuated or otherwise) until I can afford Warn hubs.

I'm probably going to do the home-brew NAPA cable over Christmas break (it's nice working at a college) as my vacuum motor has been getting slower and slower...
Unread 12-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

did you replace the fork when you installed the posi? sounds to me like it's worn out where it rides on the the cable and is allowing for too much play. mine's been in service for 5 years and the only problem i've ever had was a worn out shift fork. never had to adjust the cable since install and this is the second jeep i've had it in

also, the nature of the lock is that you need to be rolling just a hair to get it to engage all the way. it's very rare to get the splines lined up just so on the first try so you need that motion to line things up while you pull the lever.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

With the housing off did you try to slide the collar back and forth over the splines just to make sure it moves freely?
Are the E-clips on corrctly and in the notches?
Is the fork faceing the correct way?
Is the fork inbetween the correct e clips. It dosent sound like it is being you have to loosen the jamb nut so far back.

Unread 12-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Heres something from one of my old threads
"The end of the cable that screws into the housing was in too tight so the cable couldnt pull all the way to the left to slide the coupler onto the shaft. I backed out the screw while the houseing was off so I could see the fork slideing all the way to the left. Re-installed , jacked up the front pass side and had my son manually spin the tire as I engaged the posi-lok. It works perfect now except the 4wd light stays on now full time. no big deal . I will just remove the wire fron the indicator"

Unread 12-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #13
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

In this picture there are two e-clips together.
I Think I removed the one closest to the jamb nut screw so the cable can slide out further. Its not much more movement but just enough to make it work.
I think haveing two clips there is just a safeguard so the cable dosent fall out

Unread 12-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #14
Sharkbike
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I think that you've got to troubleshoot this until you figure it out. Mine works fine and has more than enough thread adjustment to allow me to set the control knob where I'm confident that it's fully engaged and fully disengaged. It's solid and reliable so far. As previously mentioned, when engaging I let the rig roll slightly to help align the splines. I figure that it's similar to the vacuum motor putting a constant push on the fork while the rig starts rolling.
Sharkbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #15
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The shaft should have 3 grooves in it - ONE clip goes into each groove. I believe there's one groove on each side of the shifter & this may be what you're missing - the shifter isn't locked into place on the shaft/cable assembly so it doesn't move all the way into place.

If you continue to have problems, you should take some pictures with the whole unit dis-assembled showing the shaft, clips, housing, and shift fork & someone here can tell you exactly how this should go together. You can also have a close look at the 4x4Posi-Lok Site and use one of their Customer Support options like "Phone", "Ask a Question", or "Instant Answer". This is a simple unit and shouldn't be difficult to assemble into a working configuration if you look at it logically.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.