Posi-Lok Axle Engagement? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Posi-Lok Axle Engagement?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #16
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

OP - like I stated. Leave it alone if it works.

Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #17
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
OP - like I stated. Leave it alone if it works.
I agree. Mine didnt

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #18
TheSmanman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusb View Post
Looks like a beautiful rig from here. How much you pay for that jeep If you don't mind saying? Any rust? ...Posi-lock is a simple and functional replacement for vacuum setup. To engage, you need to roll very softly while pulling cable. You should get about a 1/2 inch worth of travel upon that final engagement.

Thank you linusb! Here's the story about how I acquired my new toy! I've been looking for one for about 4 or 5 months now and owed a 97 Dodge Ram 4x4 pictured below. It had 197,000 , miles on it, so I decided to put it on craigslist to sell it. After reposting it several times and people coming to see it and offering me ridiculous amounts for it,.I decided to repost the listing and put in "sell or trade" for Jeep Wrangler. I got about 7 people that came to my house with some beat looking Jeeps to trade me. So I got pretty bummed about that and just let it be and left the listing on craigslist and last Saturday I get an email from a guy that says he has an 89 yj that he would be interested in trading as he needs a truck to tow boats with. I'm thinking to myself,.ok another POS coming to my house. I was outside when he pulled up with the jeep and half crapped myself when I saw it and had a smile from ear to ear. We both test drove each other rigs and decided to trade even up. My truck had no issues and was very strong and he told me the jeep had a few minor issues, one being the throughout bearing needed to be replaced as I could hear it making noise myself. He also said it had an electrical problem. So we do the trade and he leaves. I take my wife out for a test drive to show her our new toy and I don't even get out of the driveway and the Slave Cylinder blows out and I have brake fluid all over my driveway. Pretty upsetting at the time! I call him on his cell phone and he comes back to check out what happened and he said he feels really bad and goes up to the the local parts house and buys the clutch kit for me. (LUK) complete kit. I've been a mechanic for over 30 years so putting in clutches is no big deal. We have it towed over to my buddies house and we pull the trans replace the seals and put in the clutch kit in about 5 1/2 hours. Running great now with no issues with the AX15 trans.

As for rust,.there is none! Completely rust free except for the lower windshield frame, but it is only surface rust that can easily be fix in a few hours. Original paint no dents. It has a remanufactured 4.2 Jasper with only 60,000 miles on it and a Weber gear drive carb. I have to find out what model the Weber is though. It sits on BFG 35s with American Racing wheels and has a 4 1/2" suspension lift with a 2" body lift. It's strong and was very well maintained as far as I can tell. I'm very happy with it.

I plan to add a new front bumper/pushbar, winch, lights, electric fan, Dual stabilizers, performance exhaust for starters. This is going to be our weekend worrier and not a daily driver. I also will not be beating on it and going through 3 feet of mud. I will be taking it in the trails, but not breaking stuff just because my buddies are watching and egging me on...LOL.

I have a lot to learn about Yj's and this seems to be the place to do it! Great site here.

John
sunp0016.jpg  

Last edited by TheSmanman; 07-25-2012 at 11:11 AM..
TheSmanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #19
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice looking pickup! Seems like you both got a great deal with your swap!
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
Obi-Wan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

deleted post
Obi-Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

first of all as far as the posilock is concerned. the OP says that the vehicle already has it in. this means the original vacuum activated system is gone. so it will definitely be cheaper for him to leave it in. second as far as making it work I have one in my rig. (the previous owner trashed the vacuum system on mine as well.) and I have found the easiest way to make it engage is to pull back on the lever while you turn the steering wheel back and forth a bit. the differential turning allows the splines to line up and engage very easily. not quite as slick as the stock setup, on the other hand you don't have to worry about whether or not it is going to engage when you need it, axle deep in mud is a bad time to have to crawl under there and fix something lol.
mustanggarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #22
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan View Post
deleted post
I really would like to know what you have to say. I've been using your site as a reference for a while.
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #23
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke

It is also more expensive than replacing the stock system.
More time consuming to install than replacing the stock system.
It is known to be finicky... id you need to roll around to engage it, with the stock system you do not....

simple & functional? Irony? "To engage, you need to roll very softly while pulling cable. You should get about a 1/2 inch worth of travel upon that final engagement." basically its simple and functional as long as you go in reverse, then forward, then reverse, then forward, while pulling on a cable until it "feels" right?
Dude, you roll forward slowly a few inches while pulling the cable until you feel it engage. It's simple. You are exaggerating the issue and mine has functioned fine for years.

It's a manually operated locking cable mechanism. There's not much that can fail.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #24
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am also interested in the argument. My vacuum 4WD has failed, i was looking at getting Posi Lok.. but now i do not know.
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #25
Xzero117
1990 YJ Wrangler 

my vacuum system failed years ago and i'm sitting next to my brand new posi lok system

to engage it I simply put my transfer case into 4wd then pull on the cable

what is this i'm hearing about rocking the jeep to the front and back ? or letting it roll ?

as in pull the cable as i'm driving forward slowly ? do I have to be in neutral while pulling on the cable ?
Xzero117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #26
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzero117
my vacuum system failed years ago and i'm sitting next to my brand new posi lok system

to engage it I simply put my transfer case into 4wd then pull on the cable

what is this i'm hearing about rocking the jeep to the front and back ? or letting it roll ?

as in pull the cable as i'm driving forward slowly ? do I have to be in neutral while pulling on the cable ?
You drive forward to align the splines. Slowly. The vacuum system applies even pressure so you it does it while you drive without a problem.

When I engage mine I start slowly and just pull with an even amount of pressure. Not hard, just enough to move the cable. It pops in fine and then i engage the transfercase
Unread 08-31-2013, 12:10 AM   #27
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Once you get it aligned and locked over, don't ever touch it again. Just leave it locked full time and switch 4wd on and off using only the transfer case shifter.
Unread 08-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #28
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Im with POKE on this one. Ive seen far more people fuss with a cable then the stock system. Ive fixed many vacuum systems and all it took was a bit of duct tape and 5 minutes. The lines almost always crack in the same place. The locker issue only applies if you have a selectable engaged and not an autolocker.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.