Posi-Lok Axle Engagement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Posi-Lok Axle Engagement?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIntroducing the Quart Crate...JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 07-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
TheSmanman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Posi-Lok Axle Engagement?

I'm new to having a Jeep and need to learn a lot. When I purchased my 1989 yj only a few days ago the owner said it had a Posi-Lok Axle Engagement Kit installed. I don't mean to sound like a newbie, but is the Posi-Lok to lock both front wheels so there is no limited slip on the front axle? If so isn't that kind of dangerous when turning when both wheels are turning at the same speed? What is the purpose of the Posi-Lok Axle Engagement system. What situation would it be used for? I'm just not familiar with something like this and have no clue what it's used for or when to use it. I just don't want to break something.
Thank you,

John

psl920_1076.jpg  
TheSmanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Basically its gimmick.

Your front axle came from the factory with a vacuum disconnect system. The passenger side axle tube, see that big hunk on it? On that side you don't have a solid axle shaft from the differential all the way to the u-joint. there are two axle shafts in there. In the stock set up, when you shift into 4x4, a vacuum motor would engage an actuator that would connect those two axle shaft together. Here is a picture of the two axle shafts and the collar. This is what you would see if you removed the metal plate in your post,

Pulled out.. below are two separate shafts. I have the collar over them so its hard to tell.
With the collar over the splines on both shafts, they act as one. In the above picture you can see the
collar is not engaged, it only grabbing the splines on the outer shaft.

Someone came up with the idea to replace the stock vacuum actuator with a cable system. Its a very common swap. The cable "posi" systems are finicky and prone to breakage. It is actually not as good as the stock system but many people view it as an upgrade. It is also more expensive and time consuming to install than just fixing the stock system. If it works then leave it alone. Expect it will be hard to engage sometimes and you will have to rock the jeep. So if you want to get into 4x4, you need to shift the t-case and use the cable system.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Nothing is as cost effective or faster than moving the fork over and repositioning the c-clip to hold it in place.
You will always have a solid axle on that side then. Yes your drive shaft will always spin also.
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
Nothing is as cost effective or faster than moving the fork over and repositioning the c-clip to hold it in place.
You will always have a solid axle on that side then. Yes your drive shaft will always spin also.
If you have issues with the cable system... do this.
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
TheSmanman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Excellent guys and thank you. This was a big help and now I understand it. Now to take it out for a test spin in the trails. (no mud).
Here's a pic of my new toy. What do you guys think?

Poke, I hope you didn't take you front axle apart just to show me the pics you posted above?....LMAO!!
picture-001.jpg   picture-002.jpg  
TheSmanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmanman View Post
Poke, I hope you didn't take you front axle apart just to show me the pics you posted above?....LMAO!!
no problem. you will get a bill in the mail
Unread 07-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Damn I would hate to know his hourly rate.

Nice looking YJ too!
Unread 07-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Its not a gimmick when you have an Aussie up front. Unlock the posi in tight turns on the trails and your sitting pretty. Try that with the stock set up

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

ive never had an issue with the stock and aussie making turns. strange.
Unread 07-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The only problem I have with mine is that I don't know when it's locked in. I drove an entire road where my girlfriend needed 4x4 on in 2x because I didn't know it wasn't locked. Needless to say I felt pretty cool lol.
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here's another billable picture.

Unread 07-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I ran a posi lock in my old 30 for years after my vacuum stuff took a dump. It worked perfectly for me and I knew it was engaged with just a short pull of the cable. Like james said you can also unlock the one shaft allowing you to turn easier if you have a full time front locker.

You also get a 2wd low range.
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you're set on doing the Posi skip the name brand big dollar one. Look in the YJ FAQ's and do the home brew one. It works well, I never had a problem with mine but I did end up going to a one piece shaft later so I gave my set up away.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like a beautiful rig from here. How much you pay for that jeep If you don't mind saying? Any rust? ...Posi-lock is a simple and functional replacement for vacuum setup. To engage, you need to roll very softly while pulling cable. You should get about a 1/2 inch worth of travel upon that final engagement.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #15
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusb View Post
..Posi-lock is a simple and functional replacement for vacuum setup.
It is also more expensive than replacing the stock system.
More time consuming to install than replacing the stock system.
It is known to be finicky... id you need to roll around to engage it, with the stock system you do not....

simple & functional? Irony? "To engage, you need to roll very softly while pulling cable. You should get about a 1/2 inch worth of travel upon that final engagement." basically its simple and functional as long as you go in reverse, then forward, then reverse, then forward, while pulling on a cable until it "feels" right?

basically, there is nothing better about it than the stock system. The front locker turning point is valid but arguable. This might be the single benefit. I see both sides to that argument.

I know of many first hand... they are all broken.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.