Posi-Lock Stuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Posi-Lock Stuck

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 03-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
jeepkween
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Posi-Lock Stuck

I've tried searching, but came up with nothing. I have a few ideas on what may be causing this problem but would just like some additional input or if I'm way off base on the cause/solution.

My 4x4 Posi-Lock is stuck in the Engaged position; it has been for a while. It is NOT in 4wd, but the light is on (which is honestly getting kind of annoying - I keep thinking it's for something else and always look at it). I have tried everything I could think of to move it back into Disengaged. It will absolutely not move. In or out, it refuses to go anywhere.

Right now, the transfer case is in 2wd. When I pull it back into 4L, it does engage.

After numerous tries the other day to move it back into the Disengaged position, I had taken it for a slow drive on pavement, and even though the light still said it was in 4wd, it was not. No hopping while turning or anything.

Today, as I was about to turn into my driveway, it acted like I was in 4wd although I was not. I started turning, and the wheels started "hopping" like they would if you were in 4wd on dry pavement. After that, it returned to normal - I backed out of my driveway and took it around the block and it was fine. Took a sharp turn into my driveway and, again, it was fine.

Now, I'm thinking it could be:

-Low fluid (though I topped the diff off a few weeks ago - I do have a very slow axle seal leak which I've been meaning to get to)

-Broken c-clip on the bar type thing that goes through the hole on the shift fork and the end touches the electrical sensor for the 4wd light (I think this is most likely the cause, as the light is on.)

-The axle collar is over enough that it slid over while I was turning and engaged the 4wd, but if it was, wouldn't it do that every time I turn?

That's all I have come up with for now. I will be tearing into it when I get a chance. I just have bigger vehicle problems to worry about (PS pump blew on another Jeep we own.)
I would just like to know if there is anything else I should look at when I open up the CAD.

Tags
4wd , cad , posi-lock , stuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.