Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Posi-Lock, not so posi.. Let me down, again.

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  jzmtl 
#1 ·
For the 4th and final time my Posi-lock (home brew) had decided to disengage at the worst possible time. 2 of the last 3 times it was just embarrasing, the first time was just a stuck I could winch myself out of.

Today, right in the middle of a 3 ft deep muddy, baby-poop mucky water crossing it disengaged, got the front two tires mostly out of the muck, but when it disengaged andwent to rear drive only, the rear two tires almost instantly sunk into the muck. The mud was so soft even stopped it continued to sink. Swallowed my 35's completely. I went through this same spot, same hole about 15 times Saturday with no probs. (local playground) Finally got it re-engaged (the axle being off teeth sometimes makes this a PIA when you cant move) but it was way to buried. Had to winch out much to the jeers and laughs of the two Ford rangers I was wheeling with.

This week, I'm just going to slide the fork over permenantly and leave it there. Wheelin with unreliable four wheel takes much of the fun out of the day.

#5 ·
i was having the same problem.... i had to replace my fornt end this weekend and wheile i was doin that i kept that little sleeve that connects the inner shaft to the outter shaft and i put both sleeves in it and when i put my shift motor back on i turned it around... ( shift motor facing the left instead of right)...and bolted it back on..... it has been holdin up fine so far..... try turning the motor around and slide the sleeve over by hand and see if it will line up ok 4 u... also disconnect the vacuum lines to it....

#6 ·
Talk about embarrasing. My vaccuum system is less than reliable and my 4WD generally wont engage for a while. I was stuck in my parking space on the side of the street the other day. Melted snow had frozen all around me and since my front axle would not engage, I was forced to battle my way out in 2WD. Hyundais and Hondas pulling out left and right around me, and here I am in my Wrangler just spinning tires in place. :brickwall Gonna try to lock the collar in place for th etime being until I get a new front or a TJ shaft in there.

#7 ·
Telly DSP............Why not just buy a Posi Lock for it? Do away with the vacume. You will never look back. I think the worse thing Jeep ever did is come up with a vacume 4wd. What a joke. Something that can break down under the elements and rubber hose at that. What were they thinking????? I paid the 170$ off of ebay for the posi lock. Pulled my cig lighter (since I'm not a smoker) and that lever bolted right in there. It looks like it was born with it and it only took me about 1 1/2-2 hrs total to do it. Money well spent. I'm not sure why people would try and make their own? The stiffness of the cable on the one you buy is unreal. You can't touch that with a choke cable or whatever they tell you to use to make one for 20$. I feel for you. My 4wd didn't work and I didn't know it I went out with some buds in my V8 powered rig and burried it. It was right then I knew I couldn't take them laughing at me anymore and put the posi lock in and never looked back.:wave:

#10 ·
TellyDSP said:
Talk about embarrasing. My vaccuum system is less than reliable and my 4WD generally wont engage for a while. I was stuck in my parking space on the side of the street the other day. Melted snow had frozen all around me and since my front axle would not engage, I was forced to battle my way out in 2WD. Hyundais and Hondas pulling out left and right around me, and here I am in my Wrangler just spinning tires in place. :brickwall Gonna try to lock the collar in place for th etime being until I get a new front or a TJ shaft in there.
I always see these posts about the crappy vacuum disconnect and it make's me wonder what's wrong with mine. It's worked perfectly for 8 years, did I get a lemon?

#11 ·
TellyDSP said:
[hi-jack]
I cant justify spending $170 on it. I'd rather swap in the TJ shaft, balance my front shaft, and call it a day.
[/hijack]
i think it cost me almost 100 to get my drive shaft balanced.. they had to straighten it as well.. :D

#12 ·
GrimJeeper91 said:
I always see these posts about the crappy vacuum disconnect and it make's me wonder what's wrong with mine. It's worked perfectly for 8 years, did I get a lemon?
give it time.......

#13 ·
GrimJeeper91 said:
I am wondering the same thing. I had a hose crack back in 94 but when I replaced the hard plastic lines with rubber lines I have not had any problems. Mine engages and disengages perfectly everytime. I have thought of doing the TJ shaft swap but figure if it ain't broke don't fix it. Yet. I guess my jeep was built on a Wednesday.:2thumbsup:

#14 ·
well ur rubber lines should work for a long time i would think.. its the brittle plastic lines that get even more brittle over time thats the problem...

#16 ·
go for it slide that fork over have had it on mine with no problems at all :thumbsup:

#17 · (Edited)
kbazurpe said:
Is there any benefit of putting in a tj shaft over just using some washers?
Not sure on the washers, or where you'd put them, there is an easier way.

On the shift fork assy, there are two snap rings that hold the shift fork on the actuator shaft. If you've done a posi you are intamately familliar with these.

Simply take the inboard one off, slide the fork inboard and put the snap ring back on, thus holding the fork in the engaged position.

As for TJ shaft being better, yes it's stronger. However to me the spit axle is just fine till I upgrade.

#18 ·
kbazurpe said:
Is there any benefit of putting in a tj shaft over just using some washers?
Yes. I had a (good) 'lemon' too, mine worked fine for it's whole life,at least from a vacuum and proper activation standpoint. It just wore out so much in the splines of the coupler and half shafts that it clunked like crazy on the trail. Besides the noise, it was causing shock stress as it went back and forth between power and coast with a slight move of the gas pedal on the trail. No method of engagement, posi, vacuum, washers, whatever, will stop the fact that it is a 3-piece setup on that side. I never tried replacing all those parts with new to see if the slop would reduce enough to be tolerable. The TJ shaft cured all the problems.

#19 ·
posi lock not engaging

I feel for you Iwas there just last month

Automotive parking light Tire Sky Vehicle Wheel

Sky Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Note how "clean" the front wheels are
I could not for the life of me get the front axle to lock in
Since then however havent had a problem

BTW had to be pulled out by a stocker Chevy P/U

how humiliating

#21 ·
TellyDSP said:
[hi-jack]
I cant justify spending $170 on it. I'd rather swap in the TJ shaft, balance my front shaft, and call it a day.
[/hijack]
We made one out of an old bike my buddy got for free and some old spring he has lying around. It's really easy, trust me.

#22 ·
jzmtl said:
We made one out of an old bike my buddy got for free and some old spring he has lying around. It's really easy, trust me.
LOL, which is what I did and I did it with good homebrew parts. Heavy cable, strong spring, good lever etc., at it proved to fail me at the worst times. I'm tired of being stranded due to the hokey way this operates.

Time for me to just fully engage it all the time.

#23 ·
Yeah, but you get 2low for free, whereas I need $300 worth of parts and lots of time for it. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.