Posi Lock Engagement Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Posi Lock Engagement Question

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-06-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
bparsel
2011 JK Wrangler 

Posi Lock Engagement Question

Did the home made posi lock mod this weekend. Pretty simple and straightforward. I am wondering what tips everyone has found to make engaging it as simple as possible. The issue I'm running into is that I have to put it in Neutral, shift into 4 wheel drive, then I have to put it back into drive and touch the gas to get the Jeep rolling a little and try and catch the splines just right to get the collar over to engage.

Does anybody have any tips to make the process easier? My fear is that I'll get stuck sometime in 2 wheel drive and not be able to spin the front wheel at all to line up the splines and get the 4 wheel drive engaged.

Any tips?

bparsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It shouldn't matter if you get stuck because the intermediate shaft will still spin eventually lining up with the splines on the outer shaft. Not sure how to make the shifting easier besides just rolling into it.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That's how the stock system was designed to work as well. When I still had that set up, I'd shift into 4 hi, then actuate the posi while still moving, never had an issue.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #4
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Even with the real posi-lok cable, you have the same issue. I usually throw it in 4WD as soon as i leave the pavement. Sawing the steering wheel ("S" turns) while at a slow roll helps it slide in.

90YJ98XJ
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.