Posi loc not fully engaging - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Posi loc not fully engaging

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
JohnOllen
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Posi loc not fully engaging

Installed a Rugged Ridge posi loc in my 92 YJ and now the sliding collar which the fork moves over is not reliably locking the front axles together. It's definitely that the locking collar is not slidding over far enough to fully lock the front axles together. Sometimes it does engage and stays for quite a while but will pop out when I'm plowing snow and going back and forth. Sometimes when it pops out I can hear the sliding collar clicking as it almost engages the other axle. Strange thing is I have adjusted the cable so that the fork is as far over towards the drivers side as it can go (actually touches the housing) and it still won't consistently engage? Almost like my axle splines are little worn or the fork isn't allowed to move far enough. I did purchase a new fork with the posi just to avoid any wear issues. New fork looks same as my old. Before I did the swap my vacuum engagement was working, just would freeze up sometimes and take a while to engage so I thought this would be more reliable. Now with 3ft of snow in the driveway I'm very disappointed in the posi loc. Hopefully just a simple adjustment is required. Anyone been through this?

JohnOllen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
jrmboat
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't remember exactly but isn't the fork offset to one side a little bit? Is it possible that the fork is reversed so the collar isn't moving over all the way?
jrmboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

why not just move one of the eclips inside and lock it for good.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
JohnOllen
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Could be I have the fork in backwards but I have it so that the bend in the fork is such that the collar is more towards the drivers side and by my thinking is allowing the collar to be as close to the drivers side axle as possible. Had a look at the haynes manual and the instructions that came with the posi loc and think having the bend towards the drivers side is correct.
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
JohnOllen
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ya, if I can't get this working I'll reinstall my old vacuum housing and fork arrange and lock it permanently as you suggest. pain it the butt though when the sun comes out and dry roads return.
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
why not just move one of the eclips inside and lock it for good.
Bingo...
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
JohnOllen
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Got it working, barely. Fork just could not slide collar over far enough to completely lock the two axle shafts. It looks like it should slide a full half inch further than it can to completely center the collar between the axles and really lock the shafts together. I had to grind some off the fork and remove a c-clip which allowed the fork (and collar) to slide about an 1/8 inch further, which turned out to be just enough to engage he 4wd. I had the same issue with the vacuum setup and I had put the CAD on reversed to get it to work. Thought it was just a worn fork and that posi loc and a new fork would solve it. Now wondering if there's a way to adjust the two axles, to bring the gap between them towards the passenger side a bit.
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
JohnOllen
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The saga continues. The 4x4 was working well enough after I did the above work on the fork, at least it was good enough at slow speeds to plow the snow but when I took it out on the highway and hit drier sections where I could accelerate I could feel it tend to pop out of 4 wheel drive every once in a while. Not a good feeling and probably hard on the collar and axle splines. So enough is enough. For whatever reason the way my CAD and axles line up the collar just cannot slide over far enough to solidly engage the intermediate shaft. As I said above I had the same issue with the vac system so something"s not to factory specs, maybe my axle seals are worn although there isn't much space between the intermediate axle and the passenger side axle. Anyways I finallly decided to move the enitre CAD over towards the drivers side. Had to drill new holes in my new posi-loc housing. Make up a thin plate because now the gasket does not sit entirely between the CAD housing and the axle mating surface. This should allow the collar to move a good 1/4 inch further towards the drivers side. Have run out of time tonight so will finish the job up tomorrow night and see if it works.
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
hypernoodle
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dumb question, but did you try turning the knob behind the button counterclockwise after engaging? It pulls the cable more.
hypernoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If I remember correctly you can adjust the posi lock cable by twisting the black nurled knob around the red button. that basically screws the housing out away from the dash anchor and shortens the cable. did you try that?
mustanggarage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypernoodle View Post
Dumb question, but did you try turning the knob behind the button counterclockwise after engaging? It pulls the cable more.
beat me to it.
mustanggarage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
alc60560
1992 YJ Wrangler 

There is a plastic bushing thaat the intermediate shaft rides on. If the flange that sticks into the opening there is worn or broken off there is the distance problem. Good luck
alc60560 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Is the shift collar stripped? I'd pull the shafts and the collar for an inspection.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
JohnOllen
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback. Just finished installing the new setup. Letting the liquid gasket set so haven't road tested it yet but it's engaging and disengaging smoothly so far. For sure it was not a matter of the cable not being pulled all the way, I had to do all the tricks just to get the collar to barely engage the intermediate shaft. Even with the fork touching the CAD housing the collar was barely engaging. If the intermediate shaft has moved wouldn't there be more than 3/64 of a gap between the shafts? This is the only jeep I've ever worked on so don't know how the collar/shaft/fork geometry should line up. It just looks like he fork would have to move another 1/2 inch to centre the collar between the two shafts. Hope this works. Like I said, I had the same problem when I had the original vac CAD on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.