POS exhuast - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > POS exhuast

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-16-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
gshawr98

POS exhuast

I have been having major problems with my exhaust. The previous owner put a gibson cat back on, and the thing has never worked right. I have had to tighten the clamps and adjust it 20 times. It rattles terribly, so for now, i ripped from the muffler back off. It doesn't rattle as much, but now it sounds like a civic, and drones real bad.

Is there a nicer exhaust system out there. I want it to sound as good as a 4.0 can, while fitting nice and snug. Any suggestions?

gshawr98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

hit up your local muffler shop and have them bend up a new exhaust from the cat-back.... no more clamps, no more leaks, no more worries if you liked your old muffler use it again or buy another like it.... i like the oem sound... quiet
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
bobbert350

another option is red rtv...put the old exhaust back on and use that it will and should keep it from rattling loose
88 jeep wrangler, 4.2, auto---cragar soft 8's, d35 locker, bucket seats with 5 point harnesses, warn bumper w/ grill gaurd, winch plate, kc daylighters, light bar, herc the interrior, rebuilt tranny (yay) with tranny cooler, winch and msd ignition, 3.5 inch fabtech lift, currie boomerang shackles f/r, weber carb...[B]

[B]Why only go anywere fast when you can go anywhere[/B]
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

you can also go to the parts store and buy pre-bent exhaust from the muffler back for about $24... They will have to order it but it usually arrives in 2 days or less.
flowmaster,15x12 wheels & 35x15 TSLs, sway bar discos, 3.5" leaves SOA + shackles, 2" body lift, JB steering bracket, SYE, M.O.R.E. anti-wrap bar, Bilsteins 5125s up front & BDS Hydros out back, axles in the works
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/Image075.jpg
Michael_94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2007, 06:34 AM   #5
jaw41272
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Or you can put in the Gibson and have it welded rather than clamped
91 Sahara 4.0l Operation Welcome Home Parade Veh #69
PARADE JEEP MEMBER #1Auto posi-lok equipped, 4" susp. lift
K&N Drop in and loaded with battle scars
www.americaisfull.com
FOR SALE 2005 PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE
2005 Suzuki DRZ400S For SALE
jaw41272 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
bamato
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can buy a new downpipe from quadratec. I run a flowmaster and it sounds pretty darn good as long as you run a cat. Otherwise it is somewhat loud and annoying.
Mud is your Friend :)

Tread Lightly
Please help keep our trails clean for future generations to enjoy outdoor recreation as well!
bamato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
gshawr98

thanks for the ideas. I was thinking about welding them all together, but taking it out again might be a *****. Is the stock exhaust one piece? Oh and i remember reading about a tj style down pipe that is more out of the way. Is it an actual tj pipe, or a custom one?
gshawr98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads
  • need new exhuast - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (7 replies)
  • Exhuast - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (3 replies)
  • Exhuast - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (7 replies)
  • new exhuast? - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (2 replies)
  • Exhuast ? - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (9 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.