POS exhuast - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > POS exhuast

Black Rhino Off Road Wheels + Free ShippingThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-16-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
gshawr98

POS exhuast

I have been having major problems with my exhaust. The previous owner put a gibson cat back on, and the thing has never worked right. I have had to tighten the clamps and adjust it 20 times. It rattles terribly, so for now, i ripped from the muffler back off. It doesn't rattle as much, but now it sounds like a civic, and drones real bad.

Is there a nicer exhaust system out there. I want it to sound as good as a 4.0 can, while fitting nice and snug. Any suggestions?

gshawr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

hit up your local muffler shop and have them bend up a new exhaust from the cat-back.... no more clamps, no more leaks, no more worries if you liked your old muffler use it again or buy another like it.... i like the oem sound... quiet
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
bobbert350

another option is red rtv...put the old exhaust back on and use that it will and should keep it from rattling loose
88 jeep wrangler, 4.2, auto---cragar soft 8's, d35 locker, bucket seats with 5 point harnesses, warn bumper w/ grill gaurd, winch plate, kc daylighters, light bar, herc the interrior, rebuilt tranny (yay) with tranny cooler, winch and msd ignition, 3.5 inch fabtech lift, currie boomerang shackles f/r, weber carb...[B]

[B]Why only go anywere fast when you can go anywhere[/B]
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

you can also go to the parts store and buy pre-bent exhaust from the muffler back for about $24... They will have to order it but it usually arrives in 2 days or less.
flowmaster,15x12 wheels & 35x15 TSLs, sway bar discos, 3.5" leaves SOA + shackles, 2" body lift, JB steering bracket, SYE, M.O.R.E. anti-wrap bar, Bilsteins 5125s up front & BDS Hydros out back, axles in the works
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/Image075.jpg
Michael_94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 06:34 AM   #5
jaw41272
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Or you can put in the Gibson and have it welded rather than clamped
91 Sahara 4.0l Operation Welcome Home Parade Veh #69
PARADE JEEP MEMBER #1Auto posi-lok equipped, 4" susp. lift
K&N Drop in and loaded with battle scars
www.americaisfull.com
FOR SALE 2005 PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE
2005 Suzuki DRZ400S For SALE
jaw41272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
bamato
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can buy a new downpipe from quadratec. I run a flowmaster and it sounds pretty darn good as long as you run a cat. Otherwise it is somewhat loud and annoying.
Mud is your Friend :)

Tread Lightly
Please help keep our trails clean for future generations to enjoy outdoor recreation as well!
bamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
gshawr98

thanks for the ideas. I was thinking about welding them all together, but taking it out again might be a *****. Is the stock exhaust one piece? Oh and i remember reading about a tj style down pipe that is more out of the way. Is it an actual tj pipe, or a custom one?
gshawr98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads
  • need new exhuast - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (7 replies)
  • Exhuast - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (3 replies)
  • Exhuast - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (7 replies)
  • new exhuast? - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (2 replies)
  • Exhuast ? - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (9 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.