Popular swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Popular swap

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
bella mia
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Popular swap

What is the most poular engine swap. My 2.5 88 is starting to smoke. I can either rebuild it or swap it. Used engines are around $500. What would you advise for the easiest popular swap or rebuild. The 4 doesn't have enough power to lush the jeep very fast on the interstate, so I think rebuilding it is not an option. Have 33's now and thinkinf 35's later. Thanks

bella mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd say 4.0L, 350, and 4.3L are the most popular. I swapped in a 4.0L myself. Go to the stick for YJ FAQ and one of the first sections is the engine section and there are lots of good write ups on all of these swaps.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

for 4 cyl guys id say the 92-95 4.0 H.O. swap is the one most are doing. It uses almost all jeep parts so you could have a whole setup by buying a cheep cherokee maybe even for less that rebuilding your 2.5 if you do all the work. Now is the time though, if you think you will eventually want a v8 or even a diesel nows the time. It really all depends on what you want and what you want to spend as well. I'd say the 4.0 swap is probably the cheapest swap and well worth is as the 4.0 is a great motor.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.