popping in four wheel drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > popping in four wheel drive

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
yjman92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

popping in four wheel drive

when ever i run in 4 wheel drive i hear and FEEL a popping thud comming from the front end or transfer case. i know what it sounds like when i turn the wheel on dry pavement and thats not what im hearing. i can drive a staight line in snow and the popping and feel it also. im hoping it is just a bad u joint on the axle shafts or driveshaft, but what im worried is that the chain in the transfer case is skipping teeth or somthing. any body have any experience on this to settle my mind before i have time to switch out u joints?

yjman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Babcat

I've had the same thing over the past couple of weeks, and came to the same conclusion... until a few days ago. No I belive it is the posi-lock, that is definately where it is coming from, now I just have to bring it in and try to adjust it. If you still have the vac motor it could be the same scenario, motor is not driving the fork far enough. Once I get it fixed I'll let ya know for sure.
Babcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

you collar is sliding off on the front axle and your 4x4 is popping in and out, it will eventually break something when it pops one of these times....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
mdreher
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check out this thread. It has tons of great info on this subject(+pics) and an EASY do it yourself fix. I'm really looking forward to doing it to mine. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ite-up-595515/
mdreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
NicksYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldnt run 4x4 on snowy roads unless your absolutly have too to get moving i.e. icy as hell or stuck in snow. in 4x4 the front shaft moves slightly slower than the rear for added traction when off roading. But on hard cement it causes much wear n tear on the internals of the t-case that could cause alot of weird noises and problems down the road (pun intended)
NicksYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Bigboyky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksYJ View Post
I wouldnt run 4x4 on snowy roads unless your absolutly have too to get moving i.e. icy as hell or stuck in snow. in 4x4 the front shaft moves slightly slower than the rear for added traction when off roading. But on hard cement it causes much wear n tear on the internals of the t-case that could cause alot of weird noises and problems down the road (pun intended)
As long as the front tires can slip you're fine to run on the roads in 4x4. Even if it's wet. Dry pavement is a no no! It can and will snap an axle.
1995 4.0l, 5spd., 4:88's, ARB's F/R, 4"RC lift, homebrew bumpers & tire carrier, homebrew gas tank skid, lined inside, Cobra cb, smitty winch, 130w & 55w Hella lights

Envy our past, Fear our future Go Cats!

Take a look at our club
www.torcoffroad.com & here on JF
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f163/brand-new-ky-offroad-club-678937/
Bigboyky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
tjtom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Is the popping consistent? Like every 10 seconds it will pop or is it just random pops? If it is consistent popping then your tc chain might have teeth grinded or chipped
tjtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
yjman92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtom View Post
Is the popping consistent? Like every 10 seconds it will pop or is it just random pops? If it is consistent popping then your tc chain might have teeth grinded or chipped
it is random popping . so ur saying i might be good on the chain?
Unread 01-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
yjman92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksYJ View Post
i never run it on dry pavement, when i say snowy road i mean down my street going 10-15 mph in a half a foot of snow
Unread 01-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
yjman92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babcat View Post
I've had the same thing over the past couple of weeks, and came to the same conclusion... until a few days ago. No I belive it is the posi-lock, that is definately where it is coming from, now I just have to bring it in and try to adjust it. If you still have the vac motor it could be the same scenario, motor is not driving the fork far enough. Once I get it fixed I'll let ya know for sure.
i know thats what i thought but my fork is permanently locked in place with a c clip, so it has to be something else, its driving me crazy
Unread 01-13-2011, 02:50 AM   #11
Babcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjman92 View Post
i know thats what i thought but my fork is permanently locked in place with a c clip, so it has to be something else, its driving me crazy
How does the "c clip" work? I can get mine to stay engaged by pulling the cable, so it moves maybe 1/8" or less.
Babcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
fox9988
1994 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like tc chain form here
fox9988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
micahtbyrd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

disco your front drive shaft, and try driving without it hooked up, this will tell you if its comming from the front axle or front output on your t case,
alsp disco the rear DS, and try driving in 4wd and see if this makes the noise go away this should help you narrow it down to either the f or r axle, t case or trans...also check all the rubber mounts that the trans and t case ride on these could be worn out...u will need to to drop the belly pan to disconect the ds anyway...or get the whole thing on jack stands and sping the tires in to see where the sound is...ideas...good luck.... mine sounded like this for a while and it tuned out it was missing teeth on the rear ring gear...so check that too...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.