Poor performance and exhaust smell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Poor performance and exhaust smell

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 02-13-2002, 12:14 PM   #1
92jeeper

Poor performance and exhaust smell

My 92 2.5 fuel injected jeep sometimes does not want to go above 60mph no matter how much I press the gas. Also, there is always an exhaust smell. I have recently changed the Cat. converter, muffler, fuel pump and filter, Transmission and clutch. This problem has remained constant thoughout all these changes. Any suggestions???

92jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2002, 02:24 PM   #2
Islander89

I am not a trained mechanic but if you smell exhaust you have a leak somewhere and you are probably losing back pressure which could effect engine performance. I had a metal pipe-to-rubber hose seperation on a pipe that went from the catalytic converter back to the engine. My engine is a 4.2L so your layout might be different. It was very smelly and the car would not run smoothly until the clamp was replaced. You may also want to have the exhaust manifold checked.
Islander89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2002, 12:03 PM   #3
92jeeper

Thanks Islander89. After doing a little research my problem seems to be related to the exhaust manifold, possible leak or crack just as you mentioned. Thanks again!
Unread 02-18-2002, 01:41 PM   #4
jeepinarkansas
1982 CJ8 

heres another thought...I had a similar problem on my 95. Turned out to be a exhaust bolt right above the manifold. I sheared off the bolt head during a deep water crossing, i think, and that caused a smell and a loss of compression in my engine. Maybe that will help. Good Luck.
JAke
jeepinarkansas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2002, 05:18 PM   #5
92jeeper

Actually, when I had my muffler and cat. replaced, they pointed out a missing bolt on the exhaust manifold. I fixed that and it sounds a lot better but still has the smell. I've noticed on this website some reference to cracked exhaust manifolds. I'm thinking at this point I should have this checked out. I'll let you know what I find.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.