Poor mans paint job. my $60 shot at it. Tons of pics - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Poor mans paint job. my $60 shot at it. Tons of pics

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #31
JonBrown
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdewit View Post
Looks good for now, but won't last. Could have gotton yourself some matt PPG paint with hardner for less then $120 and would outlast your rustoleum.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...-year-1277182/
yea i know there are "better" ways to do it, but i wanted to be able to say i painted a car for 60 haha. and i can always just repaint it the "correct" way. but we will see how it goes, its a beater jeep anyways

Unread 10-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #32
caver351
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good! I ended up spray bombing mine with krylon from Walmart. It's all in the prep...I think she came out pretty good, I think I have about $30 in paint ;p

Unread 10-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #33
JonBrown
1989 YJ Wrangler 

damn you caver!!! haha, looks good man. how did you paint your "JEEP" i just bought some black paint and a paintbrush and am kinda nervous
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #34
caver351
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrown View Post
damn you caver!!! haha, looks good man. how did you paint your "JEEP" i just bought some black paint and a paintbrush and am kinda nervous
Wet sanded the whole thing, dried it off...and spray bombed it with 6 (or 7) cans of krylon. (Cant remember now)

The idea is, make sure you lay it on even and get good coverage. People that see it cant believe it was 'rattle-canned.' I did use the Satin paint, so it doesnt have a shine to it, which is fine since its a weekend toy only...it also makes for super easy touch ups when I plow through scrub oaks.

I have never used a roller or paintbrush on a vehicle, but I have seen a few jobs done, and with the proper prep, and after paint work they come out pretty damn good.
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #35
AaronJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caver351 View Post
Wet sanded the whole thing, dried it off...and spray bombed it with 6 (or 7) cans of krylon. (Cant remember now)

The idea is, make sure you lay it on even and get good coverage. People that see it cant believe it was 'rattle-canned.' I did use the Satin paint, so it doesnt have a shine to it, which is fine since its a weekend toy only...it also makes for super easy touch ups when I plow through scrub oaks.

I have never used a roller or paintbrush on a vehicle, but I have seen a few jobs done, and with the proper prep, and after paint work they come out pretty damn good.

I could be wrong but I think he meant "How did you paint the J-e-e-p letters on the sides".

I don't know if you painted them or not but even if I was on a budget I'd just buy the stickers. Looks like a pita to keep it straight.
AaronJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #36
caver351
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
I could be wrong but I think he meant "How did you paint the J-e-e-p letters on the sides".

I don't know if you painted them or not but even if I was on a budget I'd just buy the stickers. Looks like a pita to keep it straight.
AHH, youre right. (Im still half asleep) Those were an ebay purchase (stickers)...$8ish if I recall.

*** Just do a search for 'jeep decal' on ebay. You'll see a bunch of them, looks like they start around $4.50.
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #37
AnonymousD
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrown View Post
For the love of god do not use a brush. Get some foam rollers. easier, faster, and better finish.
AnonymousD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 05:32 AM   #38
wickedoffroad
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I think he is reffering to a small brush to do the JEEP letters, not the whole thing.
wickedoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #39
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedoffroad View Post
I think he is reffering to a small brush to do the JEEP letters, not the whole thing.
Doesn't matter, paint brush will have a much, much, higher chance of looking like crap. A roller would look much better. Stickers would be my first choice though.
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #40
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great paint job. I will probably go this route when I paint my son's 1989 Toyota 4X4 Pickup.

Here are the decals I used when I painted my daughter's YJ:

http://www.allthingsjeep.com/atj30903.html

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #41
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good man
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sloooooow-blue-yj-build-1234350"]My YJ Build[/URL][/CENTER]
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #42
JonBrown
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks guys, and yes i meant the logo but you figured that out by now. haha, i might try the foam roller first and if it looks like crap i will just put on the stickers. and as far as an update, went through some heavy *** trees yesterday and got a couple scratches but nothing through the paint! so that is a PASS in my book and johnboy, that might be the place i buy mine haha, great price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.