Poor mans paint job. my $60 shot at it. Tons of pics - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Poor mans paint job. my $60 shot at it. Tons of pics

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #16
for-play
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good, I'll keep an eye out for the smurf blue jeep while runing around Nice/Val.

for-play is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #17
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

nice! that looks awesome
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #18
AnonymousD
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Let us know how that stuff holds up. Ive been working at Sherwin-Williams for about 7 years now, and I was looking into using a paint taht we carry that pretty much just our version of the Rustoleum. It comes in an oil based and a latex. Only problem is that oil bases tend to chalk up after alot of sun exposure, and a latex wouldnt dry as hard as Id want it. I was able to find some CARC subsitute paint (the stuff they use on humvees) in flat OD green, so Ill probably be using that.
AnonymousD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 05:45 AM   #19
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Now get a clearcoat with uv inhibitors in it will keep looking has good as it does now.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #20
JonBrown
1989 YJ Wrangler 

for-play, how close to niceville are you? and that CARC stuff sounds pretty sweet. I am not sure about chalking up but i have heard of it. as far as im concerned if it a year and a half i'll be happy. and dodger, where can i find a clear coat for an oil-based enamel? i have looked and the only stuff i can find is rattle can and looked like crap when i hit the paint with it.
Unread 10-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #21
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

Looks great.
I used tractor paint from tractor supply to paint my wife's .Came out great too.

I laugh at all the guys saying they got quotes for 3 to 6 grand to paint a Jeep.I tell jeepers to do it themselves .
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #22
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job on the smurfy Jeep!

I painted mine in a similar fashion last fall. A year later and the paint still looks fine although I have a bunch of rust coming back through (my fault, I just scuffed and painted it, I did not kill or treat all the rust but I needed the Jeep all one color as after my body work and patching it was 5 different colors!).

I mixed one can of silver with one can of gloss black- I didn't like any of the off the shelf colors but wanted something I could re-create. Came out a nice pewter color, not the gun metal I was hoping for but it is still a good color.
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #23
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrown View Post
for-play, how close to niceville are you? and that CARC stuff sounds pretty sweet. I am not sure about chalking up but i have heard of it. as far as im concerned if it a year and a half i'll be happy. and dodger, where can i find a clear coat for an oil-based enamel? i have looked and the only stuff i can find is rattle can and looked like crap when i hit the paint with it.
With living in Florida you may get a year. Rustoloem does no last long down here. Nice job for a first time. Looks good.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #24
for-play
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm by Rocky Bayou. I painted mine a couple of years ago with the paint shop stuff from duplicolor. I really didn't take care of it but it is lasting. I think I have about $120 in mine.

Good job on the color, I like the blue.
Unread 10-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #25
JonBrown
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job! yea if i went with actual automotive paint im sure it would have turned out better but i kinda wanted to do it just to do it! haha. i was debating red or blue and "obviously" i went blue because of all the red jeeps around! nice rig too what type of seats are those?
Unread 10-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #26
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Damn nice job boss!
Did you clearcoat it?
Unread 10-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #27
rkwfxd
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Those are some nice looking paint jobs.

A few years ago I decided to "rattle can" my Samurai. I used Rustoleum and did a section in OD green and a section is desert tan. I went wheeling and the green showned every single spot where a bush or plant or leaf touched it and the tan looked good as new. I painted the entire Samurai desert tan and it took 12 cans of paint (about $48). Wheeled it for two to three years before I sold it and the paint never chipped or cracked and it did not appear to fade. My only prep was to remove decals and sand it section by section.

I would love to do it again to my TJ but it is in much better shape than my Sami was and my wife really likes the yellow.
rkwfxd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #28
for-play
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nice job! yea if i went with actual automotive paint im sure it would have turned out better but i kinda wanted to do it just to do it! haha. i was debating red or blue and "obviously" i went blue because of all the red jeeps around! nice rig too what type of seats are those?
I actually bought those seats off of e-bay. They have good support and are sturdy enough but the color is about gone now. The red faded badly. I think the next set will be the same style but from summit. The bolsters are really nice to have. I did have to fab up some seat brackets to get my head lower than the roll bar. YJ brackets were way to high.
Unread 10-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #29
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good for now, but won't last. Could have gotton yourself some matt PPG paint with hardner for less then $120 and would outlast your rustoleum.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...-year-1277182/
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #30
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

custom windshield tie downs, ha ha ha.

looks fine man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.