Poor mans lift question??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Poor mans lift question???

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
ShowStopper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Poor mans lift question???

Wanting a small lift to accomodate 31's. My stock leafs are currently under the axle. Has anyone ever just relocated them to the top of the axle for a slight height increase? pro's cons of doing so? thanks in advance.

ShowStopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

SOA isn't a slight lift or cheap....as far as I know.
I'm pretty sure the cheapest lift would be new shackles.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's a common thing to do...

SOA Conversion

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's called a SOA (spring over axel) and it's waaay more than you want fro 31's and it's not cheap. It will clear 35's without a sweat though. It's about 5.5" of lift.

Now if you want a cheap lift just to clear some 31's I'd go with some homemade shackles. Just get some steel, cut to length and drill some holes for the shackle bolts.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

doing it right now.....

not fun, not easy, NOT CHEAP.... to do it semi right anyhow.. I am even cutting some corners for the time being like no highsteer and using a pitman arm, but other things you WILL have to get...

I would just buy some new 2-4 inch lift springs, baring in mind a 4 will require a Tcase drop or pitman arm and probably slip yoke Elimator

take a look at the last couple pages here, or anywhere ther are tons of threads on a SOA anywhere on the net or here..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If you just want to clear 31's, just put on a set of TJ flares and trim the tub in the rear. Back the steering stops out to stop tire rub and you are set, no need to spend many 100's of bucks lifting and such.
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If all you want to do is clear 31s then TJ flares or remove your flares completely.

For a budget lift go with bastard packs, I am adding S-10 Blazer leafs to my YJ on all four corners, total cost will be less than $150 and should get me up to about 3" of lift.

Tube fenders front and lots of trimming in the back will get me to 35s, although the 35s will have to wait until I find an 8.8.
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
DoctorPhate
XJ Cherokee 

31s, get shackles. You could also trim your fenders a bit if you're sagging.
DoctorPhate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This is the first place everyone should look before posting...... also the search function is your friend.

=====YJ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Write Ups, Find your answers here=====

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
ShowStopper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactFabWorks View Post
This is the first place everyone should look before posting...... also the search function is your friend.

=====YJ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Write Ups, Find your answers here=====
Geez, the posting police have nothing better to do.....

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback. I was just tossing that idea around, At first glance without really diving in too deep, I figured I'd only be gaining the thickness of the axle tube. I see now it would be alot more than that.
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowStopper View Post
Geez, the posting police have nothing better to do.....

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback. I was just tossing that idea around, At first glance without really diving in too deep, I figured I'd only be gaining the thickness of the axle tube. I see now it would be alot more than that.
sorry for posting a link that would have answered your questions

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Unread 07-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
ShowStopper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactFabWorks View Post
sorry for posting a link that would have answered your questions
Sorry for being a lil on edge, it's just get frustrating..... Everytime somebody asks a simple question, someone else tells them they should search the forums or comb thru all the frequently asked questions, then, and only then can they ask a question..........

We're all here because we love these vehicles. I come here because there is always someone else thats been there and done that. Until I asked this question I had no idea what the hell "SOA" even stood for... Sometimes we newbys do search, but want something extra or a newer answer than whats presented in a post from 2006.....
Unread 07-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
DoctorPhate
XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Sorry for being a lil on edge, it's just get frustrating..... Everytime somebody asks a simple question, someone else tells them they should search the forums or comb thru all the frequently asked questions, then, and only then can they ask a question..........

We're all here because we love these vehicles. I come here because there is always someone else thats been there and done that. Until I asked this question I had no idea what the hell "SOA" even stood for... Sometimes we newbys do search, but want something extra or a newer answer than whats presented in a post from 2006.....
Its fine. nobody will fault you for it
DoctorPhate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
xjoverkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post

For a budget lift go with bastard packs, I am adding S-10 Blazer leafs to my YJ on all four corners, total cost will be less than $150 and should get me up to about 3" of lift.

If you do this then you will actually lower your YJ...
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #15
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

If you would have clicked the FAQ link and scrolled down to the suspension section, You have had the answer to what it is and how it's done. Also you would have learned the term SOA. I don't care what year the thread is from it would have answered your question

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.