Poor Gas Milage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Poor Gas Milage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-23-2002, 10:39 AM   #1
AllanAlxndr

Poor Gas Milage

What is everyone getting for gas mileage. On my 90 I am only getting about 125 mile to the tank... My uncle had a 95 with an idential setup and was getting 250, Whats up with that...
Thanks for any and all suggestions
Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*6" of lift, (4" suspension, 2" body)*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*
*Pioneer DEH3500/CD deck*
*1800WATT Amp w/ Custom Box*
*2 - 8" Rockford Fosgate HEs*
*Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4' Firestik Antenna*

Member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
AllanAlxndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2002, 10:57 AM   #2
lXl Rebel Wrangler lXl

just pull into a station with the tanks a lil ways away from the door and pump and go. thats what i do all the time.

later jay
Unread 06-23-2002, 12:55 PM   #3
Quan

I would hate to recommend illegal activities but quik trip sees more gas runs a day than they do packs of cigarettes sold. They don't report anyone even if they get the tag. They just write it off.

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2002, 07:56 PM   #4
evilpsych

quick question.. did you regear with the new tires? have you done the 20 gallon conversion deal on the 15 gallon tank? things like regearing to a proper highway gear ratio for a given tire size (calculated using the stock tire size and stock ratio), performance ignition, high flow air filter, cat back exhaust, and things as simple as replacing your O2 sensor can gain back anywhere from 50 to 75% of what is lost with the larger tires. not to mention some of the mods add horsepower.

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2002, 07:57 PM   #5
evilpsych

oh with the mods i listed, you will see the most gain using them in combination.

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2002, 08:00 PM   #6
AllanAlxndr

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by evilpsych:
<strong>quick question.. did you regear with the new tires? have you done the 20 gallon conversion deal on the 15 gallon tank? things like regearing to a proper highway gear ratio for a given tire size (calculated using the stock tire size and stock ratio), performance ignition, high flow air filter, cat back exhaust, and things as simple as replacing your O2 sensor can gain back anywhere from 50 to 75% of what is lost with the larger tires. not to mention some of the mods add horsepower.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It still has the stock gearing of the 4.10's. I believe the 15 to 20 gallon gas tank conversion is only for the 91-95 right? The stock air filter has been changed to a cone filter. How much does an O2 sensor run, can I get it at a local parts store ie. Checker Auto, Pep Boys...

Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*

Unread 06-23-2002, 08:28 PM   #7
St.LJustin

If you haven't changed the gearing with a four cylinder and you've upgraded to 33 inch tires, then I would diagnose the problem as not the right gearing like evilpsych said. Since you increased the tire size, you noticed a power decrease, right? So the engine has to work harder to move those big ole tires thus consuming more gas.

Member #5 of the Black Jeep Club
St.LJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2002, 08:35 PM   #8
AllanAlxndr

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by St.LJustin:
<strong>If you haven't changed the gearing with a four cylinder and you've upgraded to 33 inch tires, then I would diagnose the problem as not the right gearing like evilpsych said. Since you increased the tire size, you noticed a power decrease, right? So the engine has to work harder to move those big ole tires thus consuming more gas.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That would be correct, I was just wondering what else could be done. As I said before, My uncle had a 4cly in his 95 and also ran a 4" suspension lift with 33" BFG Mud Tires. He still got 250 miles to the tank. Could it be the difference between the TBI and the MPI...

Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*

Unread 06-25-2002, 12:52 PM   #9
BrandonParvin

Just wanted to let all you guys know, i am running 31x10.5 bfg's with my stock gears, and i just filled up only taking 17 gallons on my 20 gallon tank. I got 311 miles to my tank before filling up. This was almost all city driving.
3in Performance Accessories Body Lift
BrandonParvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2002, 03:27 PM   #10
Kev
Master of the Obvious

Gas skips, come on

Anyway, how's your driving habits? Do you a lot of punching the gas then slamming on the brakes, etc? Your driving habits can have a huge effect on your gas mileage. I average around 15 mpg; highway I've gotten over 18 before and sometimes in town and offroad it is closer to 12.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.