Poll; Tires, what do you run with and why? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Poll; Tires, what do you run with and why?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 03-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #46
rescue7
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Goodyear Silent Armor 265/75/16. Have been excellent thus far.

rescue7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #47
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
MTR Kevlar. Best tires I have ever run.

In the type of stuff we run over around here there is no end to flat tires, cut sidewalls and popped beads. These tires have avoided all that and are happy to run down to 8 psi without beadlocks.

As for the the A/T KO, there are a really good choice for a daily driver. They are quiet, have decent traction and are long lasting on the street. Crappy sidewalls though.

These procomp? Crap.

MAN! I like the way your rig looks. The stance is awesome. Started my SYE tonight. Gonna run a flat belly skid. waggy leafs SUA. Got my spooled 9" for the rear with 4.88s. Going to be on 35" MTR/Ks. I cannot WAIT to wheel it after I work my magic.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #48
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
40" Maxxis stickies

jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #49
meBrian
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
Every time I see somebody say "PBR" I think "Pabst Blue Ribbon"...
+1
92 , 2.5 (Reman), AX5 (Reman), 3.5" BDS, 1" shackles, 33x12.50 BFG Muds on Black Crager 15x10s. 8.8 & D30 w/ TJ axle mod. 4.88, Metalcloak fenders and rails. Corbeau Seats and harness, Sirius Sat Radio

It's hip to be square!
meBrian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #50
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

PBR? Professional Bull Riders.
Unread 03-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #51
Dre40

1992 YJ Wrangler 

BFG KM2s love them..
Dre40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #52
MukYJ
Pronounced "Mucky J"

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue7 View Post
Goodyear Silent Armor 265/75/16. Have been excellent thus far.
Love my 31x10.5 Silent Armors. It's really a great A/T tire, one that does really well in all situations (unlike some A/Ts that do equally poorly in all situations).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
He's right, as soon as you remove the trackbar the fuel rail will arc on the battery, killing you and all the kittens in a ten mile radius.
MukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #53
devoX13
1994 YJ Wrangler 

At the moment, I run Falken HTS. The set with shiny new rims and 70%ish tread cost me $100 and my old rims with treadless tires. Before college, I either was the general grabber red letters or the general grabber AT2
devoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 05:06 AM   #54
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

33x12.50x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers.

They've been pretty good to me, they aren't the end all be all in the rain though. Then again I'm not sure how they stack up against other MTs in the rain since this is the only MT I've ever run on any vehicle I've ever owned.

I'd recommend them though, they're a lot cheaper than some other MTs out there too surprisingly.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #55
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I know it's been said before, but I'd like to reiterate one point for those who didn't read everything (cuz it takes too long:
The perfect tire comes down to what you drive on the most, and your price range. Those of us on snow and ice are gonna suggest an AT. Dry/wet territory, like mud, dirt and rocks will suggest an MT.
AT's are not very good for the mud, MT's are not very good on ice. Once you've got that choice made, decide how much you wanna spend. Cheaper tire, shorter tread life, etc. But that too comes down to YOUR driving characteristics. Throttle junkies go through tires.
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #56
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I've owned many different tires/brands/types/patterns over the years
Mostly due to that fact that I have a small fleet of vehicles for our family of 6
Before marriage, kids and my present fleet, I have been through many different vehicles and tires since I got my license at 15
I'm not going to even try to list every vehicle I've had, put tires on & wore out - it would take up too much space here

To sum my opinion, BFG and GoodYear tires SUCK

I have yet to have a set of GY automotive tires last 1 good year
But because of this, I have never used thier truck tires
I never saw the reason to spend soo much money on thier truck tires when thier car tires suck soo bad

BFG tires are great when thier new
Before 3/4 life they turn to lumpy pieces of junk
For the same reasons as above, I have never used thier AT's that everyone raves so much about

The first set of tires I bought for my Jeep were some General AT2s, 30x9.5x15
They were a good riding tire but I didn't have them on long
Sold them to a kid for his Ranger
Probably put 20k miles on them

Next I bought a set of 33x12.5x15 Kumoh MTs for my Jeep
Again, they rode good when they were new
At 1/2 life they were loud and I couldn't seem to get the tire pressure right for even tire wear much less keep them balanced

I changed an old set of ProComp MTs in a 32x11.5x15
Offroad they took me anywhere I wanted to go without fail
Onroad they were LOUD but seem to ride ok
I have retired them to off road use only since the tire shop won't touch them due to thier age

With both of the above MT tires, I was scared to drive in the rain
No traction on wet roads

Today I am running Mickey Thompson Baha ATZ radials in a 305/65-17 on a 9" wide rim
I've gotten multiple compliments on the look - many have thought they were MTs
They're quiet on the street, have good grip, balanced out good on the first rotation, and excellent wet traction
These are the first Mickey Thompson truck tires I have dealt with so my final decision on them is still forthcoming but so far these things are fabulous

My oldest son took my Jeep down to the creek not to long ago - it was quite muddy after the rain
He forgot I didn't have my front driveshaft in but said he had no problems whatsoever driving around the other trucks that were stuck there

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.