Poll; Tires, what do you run with and why? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Poll; Tires, what do you run with and why?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #31
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

NO...

Only if I win the lotto or really enjoying swapping tires will I have over 2gs worth of tires/rims sitting in my garage collecting dust 98% of the time. To me switching tires togo wheeling isnt going to happen. If you DD the jeep get something that'll last(km2/mtrk). Km2/mtrk's will work well for the majority of people and are very similar.

If you occasionaly DD or value traction over street miles get something that will hook up and last offroad(creepy or pbr). The creepys are surprisingly good on the road and if I can balance them somewhat they'll be perfect for me.

Its all a compromise people have to make and actually figure out what they are going todo with the jeep. There is no tire that has the traction of a creepy in the woods and and rides like an AT/ko on the street.

Unread 03-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #32
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've heard of people pouring BB's into them to make them balance but I'm not sure how or why does this work? Could someone explain? Also I heard that HMMWV rims actually *are* legal for the street, the only DOT-approved beadlock that exists. Since the interstate highway system is supposed to be for the military (officially).
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #33
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
I am impressed. Though a little hard to see it looks like you have a steering set up that actually makes sense. Featuring a bit of positive Ackerman, decent scrub and little to no bump steer. People should take notice on steering done right.

Ditch the MT/R`s when they wear out and snag the newer Kevlar versions or a set of PBR`s.
John, Chris (92 Vegas YJ) is running my old steering (MORE) and running my old HPD30 polished/trussed/sleeved housing.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #34
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I run 36 super swamper irok bias, on and offroad. I don't have a bad thing to say about them, other than stay away from the radial swampers...Every radial I've tried has shifted a belt while it was aired down off road causing it to never balance right again. I no longer buy radial for the jeep nemore, bias from here on out for me. Last pair of radials had 40% tread left and couldn't drive faster than 30 without a shimmy once the belt shifted, had a set of Mickey Thompsons do the same thing...I just refuse to pay that high of price and not use every little bit of tread left on them, so bias is the way to go for me.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #35
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
MTR Kevlar. Best tires I have ever run.

In the type of stuff we run over around here there is no end to flat tires, cut sidewalls and popped beads. These tires have avoided all that and are happy to run down to 8 psi without beadlocks.

As for the the A/T KO, there are a really good choice for a daily driver. They are quiet, have decent traction and are long lasting on the street. Crappy sidewalls though.

These procomp? Crap.

MTR's is what I run also.
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #36
brokeitagain
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've still got my little 30" BFG A/T KO's on. We had about a foot of fresh snow fall here yesterday and they were perfectly fine in them, whether I was making fresh tracks or slogging it up a hill covered in churned up snow mush (all on-road). My YJ's a DD so have never had it on any extreme offroad or rock crawling. It seems to do fine with these tires on anything else, though. I am likely getting 33x10.50x15 in a week or so though and will be sticking with the BFG A/T KO's again. My YJ's sporting a nice new OME 2.5" lift with 1" shackles so the little 30's are looking even smaller now.
brokeitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #37
MikeB78
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Falken Rocky Mountain ATS extremely quiet on the road but with enough grip offroad to get the job done. Also the price was right on them, I believe I got all 4 for around $600.
MikeB78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #38
dnknme
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ
Currently running Cooper Discoverer STT in 31x10.50
They've been great for all around use the last 2+ years I've had them (almost 3 actually)
Same here

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum, LoL XD
dnknme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #39
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeitagain View Post
I've still got my little 30" BFG A/T KO's on. We had about a foot of fresh snow fall here yesterday and they were perfectly fine in them, whether I was making fresh tracks or slogging it up a hill covered in churned up snow mush (all on-road). My YJ's a DD so have never had it on any extreme offroad or rock crawling. It seems to do fine with these tires on anything else, though. I am likely getting 33x10.50x15 in a week or so though and will be sticking with the BFG A/T KO's again. My YJ's sporting a nice new OME 2.5" lift with 1" shackles so the little 30's are looking even smaller now.
Hey, I just noticed its your first post. Welcome to JeepForum, you've just found one of the best jeep sites anywhere!

Yeah I love my BFG's in the snow too, I'm a bit south of you tho (buffalo NY area)
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #40
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
I am impressed. Though a little hard to see it looks like you have a steering set up that actually makes sense. Featuring a bit of positive Ackerman, decent scrub and little to no bump steer. People should take notice on steering done right.

Ditch the MT/R`s when they wear out and snag the newer Kevlar versions or a set of PBR`s.
Thank you. That really means a lot coming from you.

As Joe said I am running his old MORE setup(except now with 1.5x.250" DOM) and his old front D30.

You really disliked the old MTRs that much?

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #41
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Thank you. That really means a lot coming from you.

As Joe said I am running his old MORE setup(except now with 1.5x.250" DOM) and his old front D30.

You really disliked the old MTRs that much?
Thanks for the kind words. All the complaints of ill handling rigs can often be traced back to poor design and execution of the steering set up. Again, yours looks pretty well done and I`ll bet it handles pretty well.

I found the MT/R`s (old style) to have too flexible of a sidewall unless they were pumped up in air pressure. Hard to balance and the profile whether they are mounted on a 8 or 10 inch BL to still be quite rounded.

Conversely the Maxxis CC`s I ran at the same time were so much better.....read stiffer sidewall/flatter profile........in handling. Plus they balanced out nicely. Downside to the CC`s was the compound. Street driving just ate `em up.

The YJ handled better with sub 10 psi in the CC`s over the MT/R`s with 28 psi plus. I had to run them (MT/R`s) that high to combat a sidewall induced flex. The the MT/R`s rounded profile was exacerbated at the higher pressures.

Take a look at these pictures. See how the center is well worn while the outers are still pretty meaty ? This on a 10 inch wide BL that should have flattened the profile out and stiffened the sidewall.

The PBR`s are nice and flat. Even with the 50 psi in them to set the bead for the BL`s they are still much flatter then the MT/R`s. I am running the PBR`s at around 22 psi and they handle and ride very well. Full tread width on the ground thus good wearing across the face and better traction.

Blaine likes the old MT/R`s FOR the flexible sidewall. He likes the fact that they tend to wrinkle up like a drag slick then spring forward while crawling. That works for him in JV but we don`t have that type of terrain here in Mi.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #42
gfd66
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
Goodyear wrangler MT/R's.
These are the new style, they are a bit quieter than the old MT/r's

Are those supposed to be directional? the tread looks backward from 1 tire to the other.
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #43
gfd66
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Found 1 downfall to the PBRs, can't get them in anything less than a 35". If you wanted them and are running 33's, you are SOL.

Edit: the RADIAL version. You can get the Bias in 33's....
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #44
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Every time I see somebody say "PBR" I think "Pabst Blue Ribbon"...
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #45
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

40" Maxxis stickies

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.