Poll; Tires, what do you run with and why? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Poll; Tires, what do you run with and why?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 03-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
gfd66
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Poll; Tires, what do you run with and why?

I'm interested in your opinions. I have looked at the Tire forum and I really didn't find what I was looking for. There are a lot of tires out there to choose from. A/T, M/T, tread patterns, etc. Not really interested in the manufacturer or dealer descriptions. I am looking for real world users. What do you like best about your tires? How long can you run on a set before it's time to replace them? Are they too loud on pavement? How are they in the rain/ snow? Are they too grippy? How are they in the dirt? Does your tread pattern cause your Jeep to pull/ push to one side or the other?
Please post your tire size and a pic of the tread along with your comments.

Unread 03-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

BFG AT KO. They last forever on my Jeep (not so long on my 2500HD truck) they are not loud, they air down and bulge good in sand, they handle rocks well, I had them when I lived in the Sierra's (3 feet of snow from one nights storm was not unusual) I'm running 32x11.5/15 at this time, when i replace my springs I'm going to 33x12.5/15.I've tried other types but always end up back with BFG, been using them since the late 70's
My work in progress with the 32x11.5's
http://tiscarenophoto.com/92jeep1.JPG
Reno72 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd66 View Post
I'm interested in your opinions. I have looked at the Tire forum and I really didn't find what I was looking for. There are a lot of tires out there to choose from. A/T, M/T, tread patterns, etc. Not really interested in the manufacturer or dealer descriptions. I am looking for real world users. What do you like best about your tires? How long can you run on a set before it's time to replace them? Are they too loud on pavement? How are they in the rain/ snow? Are they too grippy? How are they in the dirt? Does your tread pattern cause your Jeep to pull/ push to one side or the other?
Please post your tire size and a pic of the tread along with your comments.
I am running pep boys private label dakota definity in the 33x12.5 flavor. Quiet on the street so far I got 30, 000 miles on them and I got atleast that many more to go before they are even closw to time to replace them. They preform well in the mud and do really well on hardpack and loose dry dirt. They do really well in sand also.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

37x12.50x17 Red Label (sticky) Krawlers.

They are not for hwy use. They are NON D.O.T. tires. If you're on a tight budget, you'll want to look elsewhere since these tires run ~$600 each.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Tires are a use specific item. The tires that are great in the desert might not be a good choice for you. Some all around good tires I have had in the past were BFG mud terrains. Fairly good all around tires, and not too loud or uncomfortable for street use. Tires are a never ending series of compromises.
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have two sets of tires. One for light trail use and daily driving and the other strictly for beating on. Same with the rims.
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

37/12.50/17 PitBull Radial Rockers on Racelines.

100% better then the old style MT/R`s. Little noisy but OK.

jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have Pitbull rockers on my 4x4 Quads, lots of tread on those tires. They are great on rocks and dirt, haven't given much thought to running them on the street. They sure look mean
Reno72 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
gfd66
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas
Tires are a use specific item. The tires that are great in the desert might not be a good choice for you. Some all around good tires I have had in the past were BFG mud terrains. Fairly good all around tires, and not too loud or uncomfortable for street use. Tires are a never ending series of compromises.
Yes, I do realize that you can get down to specifics. But with the expense that tires command these days, the best overall all purpose type of a tire is what I'm trying to generate from this. A tire that's just as good in snow, sand and mud as it would be on rocks, dirt and pavement. The great thing about this is that because of this forum we can get responses from everywhere. Not just word of mouth from where you live!!
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

KM2's...because they are the bomb-diggity.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You live in Illinois which means you have the same driving conditions and weather as me. Mine is mostly a DD with some snow wheeling and some light trails in the summer, nothing real hardcore. I have the old-style BF Goodrich AT's and they are *great* for this. Half the time they don't bother to plow the snow around here so its a good tire to have when you need to go to the next town over when there's a storm. Quiet on the highway, and they have been wearing pretty well. I plan to keep using them. AMAZING on ice. Not real good at mud, so avoid that. They will get you stuck in mud more than a few inches deep. Should be around $175 ea on sale, at least around here (buffalo NY area)
tread.jpeg   overall.jpg  
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

image-212915692.jpg

Runway MT's 31x10.50
Price wasn't bad- 300+ mile road trip was pleasant, not too loud. They did great in the snow this morning and by afternoon when it was mud- no problems, and that's with a messed up clutch.
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I run BF Goodrich A/T KO's. 33X12.5X15. So far I've had them for about 12K miles or so. They were absolutely fantastic on the beach back home. Now that I live in Kentucky, I have found they are phenomenal on snow and ice. Like any tire, there's always too much that it may handle. But for an A/T, I am happy. They are wearing down perfectly. They seem to be pretty quiet. I no longer hydroplane on extremely rainy days. My Mickey Thompson Baja Claws were terrible in the rain. Like I was ice skating. But the drawback everyone states... Mud. These things might as well be racing slicks once you get into something sticky. But, I've tried them on some rocks and they were pretty damn good. So all and all, I will probably go back to these tires.
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The BFG AT's aren't terrible in the rocks as mentioned.

Not my jeep. Mine is right behind it.

Unread 03-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #15
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I too am in IL. I run Yokohama Geolander AT/S on both my Wrangler and my wife's Durango. They've been on my wife's truck for over two years and over 40,000 miles. They still have 40% tread. I put them on the Wrangler last fall.

They are quiet as a mouse, tough as nails, dig into snow like a backhoe and when aired down, performed flawlessly off road.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.