Poison Spyder Steering Skid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Poison Spyder Steering Skid

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 04-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
hallway94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Poison Spyder Steering Skid

Well I got another new part for the YJ and went to install it this morning, only to find out that there are some fitment issues. My pitman arm contacts the skid and binds up my steering. I'm sure I could grind on the skid but it's new and the powder coat looks great. Any ideas?

hallway94yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Weird, I have that on mine with now issues. Do you have a drop pitman arm by chance? Maybe post up some pics of your setup.

I've got some pics of mine, but none showing the inside of the skid where the pitman sits.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
hallway94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I have a drop pitman arm. And I can post pics tomorrow after I get home from school. I'm wondering why it's only bolt on goodies for my jeep that give me trouble?
Unread 04-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
hallway94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well I went ahead and ground down the one side that was hitting my pitman arm! Also, I repainted it with black rustoleum hammered and now it looks great let me know what you think!

Unread 04-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would be worried about the skid coming in contact with the pitman arm and steering box.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
hallway94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Full lock both ways and flexed out it clears everything with room to spare
Unread 04-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When you come down on it.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
Unread 04-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
hallway94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

? are you here to bash or what? only hearing negative comments from you. I don't think a reputable company like Poison Spyder would put out a product that will harm what it is meant to protect? Or am I wrong on the whole steering protection thing?
Unread 04-24-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That actually looks a little different than the one I've got, but I got mine before they changed ownership. Looks good.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
hallway94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, yeah a guy in my local club has one from them that looks a little bit different from mine too
Unread 04-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #11
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallway94yj View Post
? are you here to bash or what? only hearing negative comments from you. I don't think a reputable company like Poison Spyder would put out a product that will harm what it is meant to protect? Or am I wrong on the whole steering protection thing?
Poison Spider sent you a defective product. I don't think it's too far off to consider the possibility that maybe it fits wrong entirely.

I'm not bashing. If you come down hard on that thing and the side of the skid is in line with the pitman arm there is a good chance it will deflect up and hit the arm/steering box. It's only held on by the front and the side.

It could just be the camera angle but the that edge looks too close the the pitman arm to me. Is it the side you ground down?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.