Poison Spyder hood louver install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Poison Spyder hood louver install

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Poison Spyder hood louver install

As many of you know I was lucky enough to win a Poison Spyder hood louver in their recent giveaway. The louver arrived at my door in a very durable protective box last week. I was pleased to find that fedex didnt manage to damage the louver and it was perfect!

So on to the install...

The instructions/template that are provided with the kit are very easy to follow and well written. The only thing I wasnt willing todo was try to remove the hood and those torx bolts. So I covered the engine underneath the hood with a couple old towels and began to layout the template. The template is primarly located by the windshield tie downs.

Once you have the template positioned and taped down its time to start drilling the holes for the corners of the cuts. There are 2 possible patterns to cutout I used the standard one that didnt invovle cutting up the hood support channels.

Next its time to break for a beer before chopping up your hood

After that I used a sawzall since I didnt have any metal blades for my jigsaw to cut out all the sheetmetal. The jigsaw or a power sheers would be the best tools for the job. Next I smoothed out all the cuts and burrs with an angle grinder.

Then its time to test fit the louver and drill all the mounting holes through the louver itself. Since mine was powdercoated black I ran painters tape down the edges over the holes to prevent any scratches from the nose of the drill. Once the holes are done you remove the louver and knock off any burrs. Then I masked off the hood/cowl and painted the entire area under the louver both top and bottom to prevent any rust.

After the paint dries its time for final assembly!!!

Unread 07-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Now its time to reinstall the louver and all the allen head screws. Watch the screws as you are installing them. I had a couple cross thread and lock up midway of the bolt. I had to cut them off and replace them with a new bolt luckily PS provides some extra bolts and locknuts. Overall the install went smoothly and was super easy. The louver looks great and will definetly help with under hood temperatures.

HUGE thanks to Poison Spyder

Now for the pictures!!

Unread 07-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Dre40

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks very good.. I got a question off topic how do you get words between pictures?
Dre40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That looks really nice.

Is there any gasket type of material between the louver plate and hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre40 View Post
Looks very good.. I got a question off topic how do you get words between pictures?
I always wondered that too.

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks! The way I do it you just move the cursor down after the picture codes.

Quote:
Is there any gasket type of material between the louver plate and hood.
No there isnt any gakset material between the two peices. I added a couple coats of paint on top of the OE to make a thicker barrier between them since I live in the northeast salt belt.
Unread 07-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great!

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #7
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

looks great man. should definitely help keep her cool

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #8
rykerjenbob
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good. One thing I found interesting. I have a 95 and instead of 3 windshield tiedowns my yj has the middle tiedown and then round rubber bumpers on the left and right like the tj uses. Also I really wish they would ship with black hardware. I have a red and black thing going on my jeep and the silver hardware I would have to replace.
rykerjenbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks good. One thing I found interesting. I have a 95 and instead of 3 windshield tiedowns my yj has the middle tiedown and then round rubber bumpers on the left and right like the tj uses. Also I really wish they would ship with black hardware. I have a red and black thing going on my jeep and the silver hardware I would have to replace.

I've seen the later 95's with tj windshield bumpers and hood tie downs before too. I'm not sure on the layout of the single hole for the bumpers but it may cover the 2 holes in the louver. If you want get me a couple measurements off the hood hinge/center tie down and I can compare them to mine. The hardware is stainless and to me worth the bit of bling for the corrosion resistance.
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just might have to try this.
I'm running a smidge over 210 on the highway w/the A/C blasting. It's only in the '80's right now.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
04WJny

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Looks Great! and nice write up. for $129.99 i might have to get one. Any problems with rain water getting all over your engine?

Nice color YJ btw haha
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
XabuJr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyj94 View Post
No there isnt any gakset material between the two peices. I added a couple coats of paint on top of the OE to make a thicker barrier between them since I live in the northeast salt belt.
Something like silicone or even an RTV bead down before screwing it in would seal the link between the hood and louver as well.

'88 YJ, 33's, auto, 4.2L. Many pieces waiting to be put in!
XabuJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It looks good! You'll have to change your sig now ssyj94 as your hood is no longer stock lol

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks Great! and nice write up. for $129.99 i might have to get one. Any problems with rain water getting all over your engine?

Nice color YJ btw haha
Thanks yours looks good too ha. I dont see any issue but it hasnt really rained here since I put it on.

Quote:
Something like silicone or even an RTV bead down before screwing it in would seal the link between the hood and louver as well.
Yeah I figured it'd just trap moisture in more than anything. We'll see how it goes over the winter but I'm pretty sure it'll be ok.

Quote:
It looks good! You'll have to change your sig now ssyj94 as your hood is no longer stock lol
Yeah ha.. I'm going to have to come up with something else now
Unread 07-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So does it help with engine cooling?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.